Thigh cramps on outer side of upper thigh

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

For a couple years now I have been getting spasm/cramp feeling on the top of my thigh on the side of my leg. I first notice it when i got a cramp while i was driving... it isn't an overly painful cramp more of a spasm that your leg cant move from. Recently this has got worse with knee pain, slight numbness in the lower leg and feeling like i need to have my leg stretched out constantly . I have been to see a GP who gave me a sheet of paper with some excersies on which i have followed and also been seeing a physiotherapist to help massage the muscles. I have been told I have weak glutes, illoitibal band syndrome ans piriformis. Although even though i have been moving more and doing excersies to strengthen my glutes... nothing has improved. In fact the knee pain seems to have got worse as well as the spasm feeling in ny thigh also happening in the other leg. I'm concerened because I currently can't drive without feeling like my leg is going to go into spasm from being in the same position for too long. If you have any idea what this is or how i can fix it please let me know

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello there, I've no idea what causes it, could be sugar as sometimes its happened after eating too much sugar, not good anyway. I have just moved to a different area of the country so when I go to see my new doc I will try them. I do know the quinine works, but if i don't take it the cramps come straight back and the pain paralizes me and locks me so I cant move, its extremely frightening and makes me scream with pain sometimes in both legs. If i cud get to the phone I would call an ambulance!! Hope you get sorted soon might be worth trying the quinine tablets from your GP?

• Posted

I too get cramps but more in my feet and calf muscles and usually at night. A few years ago my GP prescribed quinine tablets for a couple of months which really helped but it came back.

My dentist told me that her dad drank tonic water, which has some quinine. I wasn't too sure so talked with my GP who said it was okay to drink the 150 ml can every other day. This does help to a certain extent. Try tonic water and see if it helps you but you should ask the GP to prescribe some quinine tablets to settle the cramps. I've not had it in my thighs, touch wood, but I know an 85 yr old relative who lives in Vancouver and she gets it now and then and she becomes almost paralyzed with the pain.

Vimla

• Posted

I had something similar to this but at the moment I can't recall the medical terminology. I will try to find the term and get back with you.

When I t told my doctor about this and all he told me was to "try to loose some weight will help"

I was upset & hurt because I'm almost always trying to loose weight and he knows that, so I felt that was rude on his part at that time. Somehow a couple months later while being under the weather I did loose some weight & the problem cleared up. 😮😯🤗 I was totally shocked!

• Posted

Alisha, guess who's backkkk! I don't even know if you have gotten around to reading my reply yet.

Well I did a lot of searching to find the medical terminology, then I couldn't find you on this website. So,for the past 2hours I searched for your message and tada I found you!

The terminology is "meralgia paresthetica", meaning an abnormal condition characterized by pain and paresthesia in the outer surface of the thigh.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.