Thigh pain wakes me EVERY night !!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well to update leg pain a bit better and in work much better . Then as the day wears on gets a little painful ... but when I LIE DOWN that's when it really kicks in . Every single night I awake early hours with stabbing deep pain in thigh. Like clockwork

And despite taking shed loads of painkillers before sleep and even a glass of wine . So why does my leg ache when I am resting it? Dr Google said possible bursitis ? Can anyone relate to this with their story please ? Seeing surgeon weds ... should be interesting 😬😬 x

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I had bursitis last year before my op, and this does sound the same. 

It's easy to work on, but you ideally need a physio for one session to help you locate where the bursa are! Once you have identified them, you have to massage DEEPLY and STRONGLY using a thumb, knuckles or a wooden massage stick. Although this isn't an accurate description of what is happening, think of them as a small knot that is really really tight- so you can't unpick it, and have to loosen it up, so to speak. 

If you can't get to a physio to help find them, try to locate them by pressing in with your thumbs. Go to the trail bone, then trace up your done about 2 inches. Then move across the back of the buttock until you are about half way across. Then start pressing in really quite hard with your thumb. You will find a spot somewhere in that vicinity where you feel more of a knot and it might hurt a little depending on how bad it is. That's your spot! 

At night, you will find it easier to elevate the hip a bit by sleeping with a pillow between your thighs - depending on what toy use you might need two. You are aiming to try to make the hip test in a straight line or slightly above that - never below.

If you keep up the massage it'll go away, but expect at least a few weeks, if not several weeks.

• Posted

Rotten predictive texting! Go to tail bone, and trace up spine a couple of inches!
  • Posted

How far out are you from your THR? It sounds to me like you are doing too much, too soon. What does your surgeon say? I wonder if you elevated your leg when sleeping if the pain would still come.
  • Posted

I agree with Beth... it sounds like bursitis.  Right now I am battling it myself.  It gets bad on my right side which does not need replaced as of now.  I do get it on my left side which has been replaced.  The right side is worse.  My surgeon has sent me to therapy ....they apply a prescription steroid cream and they use an ultrasound to massage it in where the bursa is.  I have 8 treatments.  It does help but like Beth said you do have to do some work yourself to keep at it!  It's common when we have hip problems!! Even after surgery.  One more thing. Before bed I ice it and that really helps mine!!    Best of luck to you!!!   

• Posted

Hi hazel

I had the same problem lying in bed was so uncomfortable be pain from buttock down my thigh. I spent many nights in my recliner but back in bed now and sleeping well mostly.

Hope you get some answers

Julie

• Posted

Poor you.! I would ask the consultant what's going on.Good luck.regards Amanda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.