Third week on sertraline (Zoloft)

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have a panic/anxiety disorder and the doctor prescribed Zoloft.   I started at 25mg for 7 days and then increased to 50mg. The last three days have been wonderful. I feel completely free of anxiety and I thought I was over the hump with the side effects and anxiety but last night and today I feel awful. I am having waves of anxiety and pins and needles sensations throughout my arms and legs. I feel nauseous. I couldn’t sleep at all. I’m so frustrated by this. My question is this: is this normal to have a day like this and when can I expect it to be more consistent that I don’t feel like this?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Edited

Yes it’s completely normal. You are only at 3 weeks. You will experience waves of good and bad days till about 5 weeks or so. The fact that you are having good days is great indication that the meds are working. You also just increased your dose so experiencing side effects again is bond to happen. You’ll get there. Don’t give up! 
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. That makes me feel better. I just wish it would work a little faster. 
    • Posted

Believe me I know!!! The days seem so long and you’re living each minute wondering when they will work. I am currently on 50 mg of Zoloft on my fifth week and I am now just starting to feel like myself again. Give yourself some more time. You’ll get there smile 
    • Edited

Thank you so much for answering that question I have the same question myself and feel a lot better now knowing there are good and bad days thank you!!

• Posted

I am just reaching out for some positivity. I am on 50mg sertraline for 4 weeks and 5 days for anxiety now. I had prolonged gastroentiritis which let to gastritis. I worried myself literally into sickness /vomiting on top of the condition making me do that, thinking I had something seriously wrong with me . Woke up in a blind panic because i was feeling sick. This spiraled into a full blown attack every morning but i seemed to be back to my normal self come 11am. Shakey/dizziness, vomiting nausea, sweaty palms, cold, diarrheoa/dry mouth/overwhelming butterflies in my chest (I have IBS). My first two weeks were awful with all the above symptoms when put on sertraline which really sent me into overdrive, especially the sickness/vomiting, I had to stay in my mams with my two young childrden for those two weeks. I couldnt function for basic tasks. 3rd week settled a huge amount. i was able to start my new job, no nausea in the mornings. Small few Ups and Downs during the day but nothing major at all. This weekend I was 100% back to myself, went on a road trip with the kids etc. I did notice i didnt eat as well or frequent that day and had feck all water. Monday i was ok in work but not 100%, my stomach start at me feeling slightly sick so I have to shut everything else off. Yesterday morning I was a write off! Woke up with butterflies, vomiting (acid and foamy) then straight into a full blown panic attack. Now a number of things may be a factor in this. I had bad wisdom tooth pain the previous two days, my diet wasnt great (I actually had 3 bars the day previous and didnt eat as frequent as I should have), I was also on 80mg of omeprazole a day to line my stomach from having the gastritis. For about 3 days previous I had cut down to 40mg just in the morning as I felt 80mg may be too high.. I also drank only .5L/1L of fluids the two days previous. My question is, is it normal to have a little blip at the 5 week mark or going by reading my post have I set myself back stomach wise with my eating habits and lack of water the 2 days prior to waking up feeling like this? I feel like I'm back to square one and its worrying me after such a good previous week with no nausea 😦 woke up again this morning, felt sick/dry mouth, gulped a load of water and then vomited almost immediately. Vomited a lot of water but it was yellowish colour. Please someone offer reassurance.

• Posted

I second that...Yes it takes between 4-6 weeks for the medicine to completely work, I too had good days and bad days before Sertraline kicked in. Enjoy the days.
    • Posted

Thank you for the response. I will just have to hang in there a few more weeks. 
  • Posted

Hi Monica I’m on my fourth wk of 100mgs of sertraline, I still can’t sleep without a sleeping tablet and once I am awake I can’t fall bk to sleep as my mind is just doing overtime. Will this get better 
    • Posted

Hi Debra,

I think it will improve. Everyone keeps telling me to give it 6 weeks. I know the insomnia is definitely a side effect of the medicine. Have you talked to your doctor about it?

• Posted

Hi Monica thanks for your reply. Yes I mentioned it to the doctor and he gave me sleeping tablets. But I don’t want to have to keep taking them. I want to beable to feel relaxed in myself and beable to fall asleep naturally 🌹

• Posted

What you are feeling is very normal. Between every upped dose you should wait at least 6 weeks, I have now been on sertraline for 4 years. I weaned myself down to 50 mg and have been on that dose for about 2 years. My advice is to give it time to settle in before upping. You will prob have heightened anxiety and restlessness, upset tummy. I done everything I could to make the heightened anxiety days easier which was taking rescue remedy (amazing stuff) keeping cool with a fan, drinking ice cold water, learning to knit which really helped keep my mind off intrusive thoughts, word search, suduko. Also the time you take sertraline has a big impact on how you feel and the start up side effects. I took mine at night just before I got into bed so I would sleep through most of the side effects x
    • Posted

Hi thanks Vikki. It’s just nice to know that I’m not the only1 that had or has had these feelings. How long was it b4 you felt like ureself again? And beable to relax and fall asleep naturally.wot do u mean by rescue remedy? Was it the things you were doing to keep u occupied 🌹

• Posted

You can buy rescue remedy from pharmacies and also the big supermarkets. People buy it to calm kids with ADHD etc.

Worth a try ..I'm going to add it to my online shop ..

• Posted

Hi hoopz will it help me to relax and beable to sleep 🌹

• Posted

I have absolutely no idea to be honest but anything is worth a try. Im feeling like yuck and almost into week 4 on Sertraline Sweaty anxious little sleep. Lethargic ..cant be bothered getting out of bed or even putting the tv on. I feel like i need a kick up the backside 🦄🦄

• Posted

Hey Debra

Why don’t you ask your doctor for some lorazepam or Xanax till your Zoloft medication kicks in. I took one a day for about 4 weeks and now going on my 5 week I don’t need it as much. It helped me relax, sleep and get not fixated on my anxiety. It is a quick fix and you can take it To help. It helped me so much. Some doctors are hesitate to prescribe but if you let him know you need something to keep you settled to your meds kick in, I am sure he won’t say no. 

• Posted

Thanks Jenna I will ask my doctor about it. How long do you think 100mgs actually take to kick in? I just want to feel like myself again 🌹

• Posted

Hi Debra 

I would say you’ll start to feel some good days around 5 weeks. I know that’s when it started for me. Today wasn’t the best day yesterday was amazing. I’m giving myself 8 weeks and then I will decide if I need to go up in dosage 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.