THR @ 40 yrs old and SCARED

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everyone, I just found out a few days ago that I will need a LTHR. Apparently I have congenital hip dysplasia. I moved to Bolivia over two years ago and have done heavy uphill/downhill walking every day, which sped up the deteriation in my hip. I have to leave my husband and two small children in a few weeks and head back home (U.S.A) for the surgery since the technology here isn't the greatest.

Questions: what things have you found the most helpful in preparing for surgery and recovery (cold pack, body pillow, sleeing in a large bed vs a twin sized bed etc.) I'll be staying with my parents and they have said they will get anything I need so that I am comfortable and have the best recovery. I know everyone's stories and experiences have been different - but do you think I can be in good enough condition to travel from the US to Bolivia (19 hour flight with layovers) in 10-12 weeks?

Also, does anyone else have hip dysplasia? What have you done as far as preventative measures?

I'm really nervous about this, mostly about leaving my babies. Daddy still works full time and my kids are homeschooled while living abraod...this is going to be challenging!

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

AlohaGirl,

I am 46 years old and almost 7 weeks ago I had a LTHR due to an accident. You will be fine before you know it. I won't lie to you...the first week was a little challenging and it was a bit difficult to adapt to new precautions during healing. I have 5 weeks left of precautions and I will have full range of motion.

The implant my surgeon installed is the Sryker Dual Mobility Hip . It has near ZERO dislocation and is the latest implant available. It will give you a natural movement after you heal. I'm letting you know so you can ask your surgeon about it. This is the ideal implant due to our age and active lifestyle.

It feels like a natural hip. I am pain free, walking without assistance, I drive, I supervise at work, do light manual work (I am not limited after healing) and pretty much have a normal life post op. The hardest part is actually deciding to have the surgery.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you for the information! I will certainly talk to my surgeon about you suggested.
    • Posted

Did you have an anterior or posterior surgery? I also had an accident injury and was an active 57 but now 7 months after my rthr I am still limping and in pain.This makes me wonder if he gave me a hip that will never be that mobile. Since I came in through the ER there was not a lot of pre- surgery discussion but I wish I had gotten the type you describe.It brings up the apparent fact that all hip implants are not the same.
  • Posted

I had congenital hip dysplasia diognosed at 6 weeks old, 1st surgery at 1 year old (now o to 14 surgeries, im 20 years old) and avasculanecrosis from the age of 7. My CHD has ruined my life but i am finally starting to see tiny improvements 3 month post op hip replacement.

Most important thing is is to make sure you have a chair which is 18 inches of the floor minumin and bed 22 inches, you will also need a toilet raiser. I always suggest you try not to rush your recovery. Let your body tell you when its had enough 😊 best of luck. The op is the easiest bit haha 😂

• Posted

I didn't think about the toilet raiser. In putting that on my list!

• Posted

Yup its vital. If by a mircle you did get onto the toilet you wouldnt be getting back up. A leg lifter is also important if you have no one to lift your legs for you and a grabber as you cant bend to put undies and trousers and things like that
  • Posted

Hi Aloha Girl,

First off - congrats on taking this step! And big hugs! I know it is scary (I am having my second in September and it is still exhilarating and scary all mixed together).

Having to leave your hubby and kids too makes it even more of a challenge. But I am glad you will have your parents to support you - excellent.

I don't have anything to offer re dysplasia sorry but quite a numerous of other members will jump in on this - I am confident.

Re preparations - you will likely get an orientation presurgery that will help and there are some incredible resources available through one of our forum members (Graham aka Rocketman) who created his layman's guide to THR which has fabulous information:

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and on the moderator's "useful resources" page at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

For me - the reacher/grabber tool, long handled shoe horn, bed rail (slides between mattress and bedspring to support you getting in and out of bed, ~ $70 Cdn), gel packs and a good quality oversized foam memory pillow were indispensable. Finding a comfortable chair that meets height and depth restrictions is also big. I am a fan of the walkers prescribed by my surgeon (and got a convertible one from my local pharmacy which could be used with no wheels, two or four wheels ; ~ $80 Cdn). Make sure you bring your IPod or personal music device w ear phones for those times when you cannot sleep - it really helps). No one really warned me about the level of swelling you experience after surgery - bring a couple of sets of really loose clothing with you (I used oversized t-shirts and my husband's loose flannel sleep pants almost exclusively the first week or two).

Also bring a good pair of slip on shoes - ideally with little wear.

Think about distraction activities - get books out on your parents' library card, rent some good movies and pick up secondhand jigsaw puzzles or other diversions that you enjoy. And alert any friends in the area to be ready to come visit to cheer you up. It is good to have changes and distractions.

Finally - this forum and it's members are amazing. Come on line for any advice, pep talk, friendly shoulder anytime as we live on four continents so there is usually some here when you need to babble or vent or get advice.

I am 5 months post and doing great - good enough to take on my second THR, so you can do it and come out smiling. And better able to keep up with your kids and husband

Best wishes,

Linda

• Posted

Ps - Sarah is exactly right with the toilet seat raiser and about getting your bed to the right height (extra mattress topper or 'raisers'wink. Both big indispensables.

L

• Posted

Is your surgery going to be Posterior? If so then prepare to move the things you need high. Chairs with armrests are a big deal because of the 90 degree rule.

My experience 4 weeks post op...is take it day by day,and plan for a 6 week recovery. At two weeks I was able to walk without aid, but with a limp. Now I'm using a cane and trying to practice walking normally.

• Posted

Hi Alohagirl:

Just wanted to say that things will be fine and shortly afterward you will feel so much better. It is a slow recovery, and I can only imagine how you feel leaving your family behind, but am sure that the surgery will benefit you immensely. It is normal to be nervous. I am 9 weeks post op rthr and getting ready for my lthr on the 12th and I am nervous again...but I wouldn't be going through it again already if it didn't help. Just want to wish you well, and say good luck.....Barb

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.