THR Precautions

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had my THR (posterior) 2 weeks ago. Everything is going well! My only concern is when I was in the hospital my PT said my Doctor keeps precautions in place for six months. I was under the impression precautions were between 6 to 12 weeks. Has anyone heard of 6 months?  I go for my follow up on Thursday and will certainly discuss this with him. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think it's 6 weeks too. Maybe a slip of the tongue. I've never heard of 6 months!
  • Posted

Best to call your doctor's office and inquire.  Every doctor is different and sometimes they perform the surgery a bit differently.  I had posterior THR, too but my doctor told me at the hospital that I didn't need to worry about the 90 degree rule (I did & do anyway).  When I went back after 3 weeks and tried to get more information about what to do and not do, I was told, "If it hurts, don't do it."  I pressed for a better answer but that's all I got.  I'm at 7 weeks and continue to be cautious but not paranoid (disclaimer:  I WAS paranoid in earlier weeks!).  I figure that it's better to be safe than sorry.
    • Posted

I will see him Thursday and grill him about this!!  I'm very paranoid and overly cautious. If I have to live like this for six months I will go crazy!!!
  • Posted

Hi Ggaz

Yo...normally 6 weeks...then gently go forward...unless you've a medical condition which suggests otherwise?

Otherwise you'll then be taking a bath, driving

etc - all click in at six months

Cheers

Mic

• Posted

hi Mic

I don't have any special conditions. the surgery went smoothly. I'll just have to wait until Thursday when I see him.  

• Posted

Two weeks gone - you are definitely on the winning side already! Yes, all surgeons are different, just as all of us patients are. 6 months does seem a long time so perhaps it was a slip of the tongue, or you may have other issues that may have caused the long caution time. However, it would be wise to clarify this. I was also told "If it hurts, don't do it" as ultimately your body is the best judge. I think this is a good piece of advice. It makes you think for yourself. 

Yes after 6 weeks you will feel liberated and much, much better. I am now nearly 5 months post op left THR (posterior). Driving after 4 weeks (automatic car), cutting the lawn etc. at 6 weeks but always taking care not to overdo it. And taking a break when necessary, no need for heroism. 

BUT - it's really only now, after 5 months that I feel the full benefit of the op, i.e. I can now consider going for a walk and I mean the proper ramble type thing with walking boots and a rucksack, climbing hills. Soon I will also be riding my (very wide) horse again, hooray! 

The main thing is, just don't do anything stupid. Let your body do the talking and take note. 

Good luck and best wishes,

Alison 

• Posted

thanks Alison. That makes me feel better!
  • Posted

My consultant airs on the side of caution too and keeps everything in lace for 6 months.  I had my lthr on the 21st May restrictions taken off in November and he will see me again next March.
  • Posted

Usually it is 6 or 8 weeks, but every surgeon and patient are different. Whatever they are in place until after your checkup, so yrs, check with him then

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.