Threadworm hell

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been suffering with Threadworm now for about 3 years and have no idea how I got it. I live on my own and don't have children.

it has been the most miserable 3 years of my adult life. As I have taken so much mebendazole over the past few years it no longer seems to be taking any effect. in the beginning taking it gave me some relief. Now I have no relief and i feel it every night. the itching is strong and intense and it wakes me up from my sleep, usually several times a night.

I've gone on a sugar free diet these past 2 weeks and it has made absolutely no difference so far. I cry every day and dread every night as i know its going to be another night of hell. I'm so sad and anxious. I'm washing all clothes, towels and bedding on hot every day. i vacuum and steam floors every day. I just want to escape this nightmare but i'm stuck. I mourn the life i had before I had this

. I'm burnt out and exhausted. I feel so hopeless, I feel so alone. Has anyone managed to beat this even if they have become resistant to the medication? It makes me want to escape from my body but i cant. I have to live through this and suffer every night. i don't feel safe / comfortable in my own body.

I have been looking into water fasting, where you only drink water and don't eat. I am wondering if that might provide some relief. Has anyone else tried this before? Has it helped? If anyone did manage to beat this, how did you do it? Thank you for listening.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Im going through exactly what you are and its driving me mad. My back passage is so itchy, particularly in the evening, that Im in a state of discomfort nearly all the time. That certainly affects my mood as I tend to get very grumpy and snap at almost nothing. The fact that the wriggling and itching in my but doesn't allow my to get to sleep doesn't help my mood either. Ive gone from being a happy carefree guy into a moody nightmare. I try to avoid social situations as its hard to maintain conversations when I am in a state of such discomfort.

I have had worms on and off for years but they tend to be at their worst when I am constipated, which is certainly the case at the moment- just to add further insult to injury. If you are able to open your bowels twice a day, then the chances of an infestation may be reduced. Have you tried laxatives?

Another piece of advice is never to scratch. Easier said than done. When I'm on my own in the evenings they drive me to distraction, so I have no choice but to scratch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.