Thumb nail infection with sore crust

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, I am wondering what to do about my nailbed around my right thumb.

A few days ago I cut my fingernails with a nailclipper. I think i cut more than i should have around the left part of it because i took away part of the nail i didnt intend to with the clipper.

Over the next few days I noticed the area to get sore and a crust forming around the affected area. im no stranger to hang nails and redness around my nails especially around the thumb. A while back I went to a minor injury unit because pus formed underneath what I think was the same nail.

I've tried putting germolene cream on my nail liberally but this morning it still throbs and hurts. last night I noticed i was sneezing and coughing a lot and wonder if its fighting a infection.

Should I see a GP? im going to the chemist later as well

i attach pictures of what I'm experiencing imageimageimage

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

This was posted 3 days ago so if this is still throbbing and the redness is tracking over your thumb and maybe hand, you need to see a doctor ASAP> Yes, probably you cut your nails too short. Dont cut them down the sides only across the top. Always cut your nails after thoroughly washing your hands, and put those clippers or scissors into boiling water to get rid of any bacteria on them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.