thyroid cyst at 18, I'm scared?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm an 18 year old female. I felt a bump on my neck around 4 weeks ago and checked in with the doctor yesterday. She felt it and had me get an ultrasound yesterday. Results came in today and she called up again, saying it looked like a had a "rather large" cyst and that she wanted me to have a biospy for it.

I have had a history of anxiety issues so I am not taking this well at all. What are the chances that the cyst will go away? Will something need to be done surgically/medically (if it were benign). I'm terribly scared, I'm starting college in 2 weeks, I really had a lot of things to look forward to.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI patient 21.. I am so sorry to hear about your problem....

please try not to worry too much.it could well be just a very harmless fluid filled cyst ....they can become hard....( my daughter had one on her breast when she was in her early twenties. )...it turned out to be harmless...

obviously, they have to err on the side of caution, and thank heavens they do....

you must be so up in the air at the moment,, what, with this and starting college,.....always nerve wracking...but you will make new friends and enjoy every day once you are settled in.....

I pray that you hear good news, you will be in my thoughts and prayers.....Deirdre xx🌸

• Posted

Thanks, I went to see the doctor today, he doesn't think it's too serious...mostly fluid. The biopsy results are in a few days I'll know for sure. 
  • Posted

Hello Patient 21:

I answered you on a PM. biggrin.  I just wanted you to know I saw your post.  Drop me a PM when you have seen the doctor.  Enjoy college. XO Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.