Thyroid FNA Severe Complications

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

I thought I would leave a brief version of my story so as to help someone doing research.

I had had an MRI for my neck several years earlier which spotted some nodules on my thyroid. The recommendation was to have a biopsy but I never did. Several years later I felt a huge lymph node in the area so I became concerned. I had an ultrasound and the.5 thyroid nodules were stable but now I had a 2.7 cm swollen lymph node and the recommendation was that both be biopsied by FNA (Fine Needle Aspiration).

I had the FNA done on my thyroid and lymph node and immediately, on the way home I started having shortness of breath. I thought that perhaps it was swelling and I put some ice and lay down but that did not help. It was horrible for days and days every 10 to 15 minutes I was gasping for air. It would take six or seven deep gasps to get a breath that was satisfying. Finally I called my doctor and he said I had to go to the ER because there was no reason I should have that shortness of breath. I went to the ER they did a CT scan and blood tests an x-ray and everything came out normal. Flash forward to six months later I am still having severe pain in the area of the FNA. I am miserable I have a choking feeling that never leaves me. Do not do this test unless you absolutely have no other choice. After doing some research I found this rare side effect is not so rare after all.

What really kills me, is that the.5 nodules should not have even been biopsied in the first place. I was told by subsequent doctor said it was so small that biopsy should not have been recommended. And only a few days later when I had the CT scan they said the lymph node was not even there anymore! So I did this to myself for no reason at all which makes me so angry. After the ER visit it took about one week but every day the breathing got a little bit better. Instead of six or seven gasps to get air it would turn into 4 or 5, then two or three, then one or two until finally my breathing became normal.

I went to an ENT and he said it could be scar tissue in there. I am completely miserable and so sorry I had this done.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.