TIA

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I hope somebody will be able to answer my question please.

My mother had a TIA and did not seek any medical advice for about 2 weeks from her doctor.

Would this delay in going straight to hospital have caused a faster decline in her health after the TIA, as opposed to going straight to A&E after the TIA?

My mother's health has deteriorated rapidly since the TIA but this may be a combination of her Diabetes 2 and Osteoporosis.

Any help gladly received.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I went the best part of a year between first symptoms and finally going to a doctor with no adverse effects. obviously I wouldn't recommend that as a course of action but the T does stand for Transient which suggests to me DISCLAIMER I AM NOT A DOCTOR that delays are not going to have knock on effects.

I was around 52 at the time

• Posted

from a doctor's point of view, delays are bad but another TIA or worse a full stroke can happen at any time. I honestly think the word "transient" should really be replaced with "sudden"

• Posted

I'm not disputing that delays are bad, I've had two further incidents since my first series of treatments and on each subsequent occasion I've been in the Emergency Department of Southampton General within 30 minutes however the original question was

"Would this delay in going straight to hospital have caused a faster decline in her health after the TIA, as opposed to going straight to A&E after the TIA?"

Which my experience (note I also emphasised my status a NOT A DOCTOR) suggested it didn't. Experience that your post seems to support.

• Posted

Nobody disputed your comment... and as for the original question, I answered it. I just replied to your comment

• Posted

your mother has delayed in getting medical assistance, okay.

so I have friends and family who have had "incidents" and not sought medical assistance, these have never been life threatening but still, they've all been told off be me and the health care team they saw haha.

in your mother's case, personally I would say no it will not effect her life as such.

the deterioration in health may be the underlying cause of said TIA.

in most cases the treatment of TIA is blood thinning medication to prevent stoke, well I say prevent i mean lower the chances.

diabetes actually damages nerves and osteoporosis causes bones to be brittle. So I wouldn't personally put TIA and osteoporosis in any of the same categories.

let me sum this up a little

Following the TIA should medical attention be sought ASAP - Yes

would osteoporosis be a contributing factor in worsening health following a TIA - not really

I personally don't see the existing conditions your mother has getting made worse by TIA however what caused the TIA needs investigating. an underlying medical condition that can cause TIA can in fact make the body less of a fighting machine. for example some cancers can grow in places causing blood loss to the brain and that can cause the immune system to slow and cause TIA. I am not for ONE SECOND suggesting cancer is to blame it is simply an example.

I hope everything works out for you and your mother.

get many tests!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.