TIA or not

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi there 4 months ago I had been out clubbing with my husband and friends and family I hadn't had much to drink walked home fine needed to use bathroom walked upstairs fine come down a few minutes later with a headache didn't think anything about it felt hot so went outside sat on the front step reached for my cigarettes in my back pocket and found myself falling backwards I managed to get my husbands attention but I was unresponsive and slurring my words my husband says I was saying my heart over and over again he was scared and phoned 999 paramedics came and I was taken to hospital I recall one of them saying looks like a TIA but at the hospital the nurse said I was just drunk I knew I was not as only had a couple of drinks, 4 months on I have been having heart palpitations and doctor not doing anything.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

.Go back to your Dr and ask him to have a full blood test, it may rule out somethings. When I had palpitations a Locum Dr at our surgery diagnosed Thyroid Overactive, but had a blood test to confirm it. If you are at all worried about a TIA or Stroke ask your boyfriend to follow the FAST check...

Face dropped, eyes unequal

Arms.. Hold out your arms if you are unable to keep them steady and they drop, it could be an indicator

Speech.... slurred speech and or unable to verbalise you thoughts

TIME .... is of the essence. The sooner you can get Hospital treatment, the better.

Don't take a Nurses assessment as a diagnosis, insist on speaking to a Dr.

I'm speaking from experience having had a major stroke and several TIA's

• Posted

At the time I was only part awake after falling and everyone was panicking as my older children were there I can't really remember much so going off what my husband and friends have said my husband said I was floppy but slurring my words and my tongue was off colour after getting to hospital after around hour I was sat up feeling completely normal no other tests were done and I went home.

• Posted

what tests did they give you? I would really recommend cutting out the cigarettes as they will increase your risk of a stroke as you probably already know.

• Posted

my doctor told me not to just stop as it could make it worse but to gradually cut down to start quiting

• Posted

The problem with cutting down is that it notoriously doesnt work. you are still a smoker and the body knows it. The issue with stopping is not the physiological shock, its the trauma of withdrawal. If you can find something to get you through the withdrawal quitting completely is the best way and your body will recover much more quickly.

• Posted

The problem with a TIA is that it leaves no footprint behind. So it's often impossible for the medics to state with any certainty that's what occurred. Unfortunately ER staff are often very cynical when nighttime revellers appear as injuries etc are often as a result of over consumption of alcohol. Obviously not in your case but they see so much of it they often assume wrongly. Do push your doctors for further tests. It may or may not have been a TIA but your symptoms could indicate a range of underlying problems, eg low blood pressure, blood sugar issues, vasovegal, the list is endless but it does need investigating.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply, yes my bloods come back as high white blood cells and high potassium levels but did not do any further investigation, there is heart problems in my family my nana died of a major heart attack and stroke 6 years ago and my mother has heart problems to and 2 years ago my younger sister had a heart attack, I've made health changes no more going out drinking and cut down loads on smoking hoping to quit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.