tick bites

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am terrified I have had a tick bit Was out in garden and felt a sharp prick on leg Looked doe and had a brown bug type thing I just flicked it off

It looked longer than a tick and I didnt see legs or wings Been to doctors twice First one said I had to wait and see if I devoped any symptoms not helpful for someone as neurotic as me 

Second one said she didnt think it was atick bit but wants to see me tomorrow Chemist gave me antihistamine cream and it has made red patch paler 

I am still not convinced 

I have read so much about I am driving myself stupid Now I have got a stiff neck making me more convincined 

My cat also had a brown ball on her a couple of weeks ago I just thought it was a bur pretty sure that was a tick If it wasnt a tick what could it have been or would it be clearing now afer few days i was bit thursday morning its now sunday morning 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Not to worry.

If it was a tick then you MAY get a  very typical rash.

Not all ticks carry nasties.

You have done theright thing and been to Dr. But if ever you get another tick/? then try to catch the thing  in a jar with lid so  it can be identified. And also wipe the place over with antibiotic (Dettol or TCP or whatever).

Dr. may give you aparticular antibiotic for a month or he may wait to see if rash  develops first..

A homeopath will advise you with any tick bite to take Ledum immediately but if you are not into homeopathy then you have no option but to trust the GP.

Ledum is the wild rosemary. It cannot harm in any way.

If your cat/dog ever gets bitten by a tick give it Ledum straight away.

Cat's brown ball certainly sounds suspicious.(back bit of a tick)cats and dogs often get Lyme but seem to throw it off  more easily than humans.

My grandchild  then 6 returned from trip in Devon with a tick embedded.Daughter just removed it with a tickstick. Did not take her to Dr or wipe it with antibiotic.

She seems ok. (a year later).

More people have Lyme than is realised and it is misdiagnosed.  and because they have strong immune systems they seem to cope with it.

If all dogs were tested then probably it would be found many had Lyme.

Do not start to worry until you need to. There is plenty of time for antibiotics to cure you completely.

Always wear clothing that covers you, long trousers and long sleeved tops/shirts and spray anti tick stuff on before you go into woodland or  areas where there might be ticks., even your garden.

Ticks seem to be on the increase.

Meanwhile boost your immune system, plenty vit C and a good diet.

Let us know how you get on.

Hopefully all will be well.

PS If cat seems to be affected in any way take it to vet. Vet can give it antibiotics and later do a test.

First Doctor was acting as normal.  GP's seem to have some sort of Ministry of health  protocol when handing out antibiotics.

Second Dr was acting as a GP should and allaying your fears by offering you a follow up appointment.

Try to stay calm as otherwise they label you as  suffering from depression which is unhelpful in this situation.

Remember not all ticks carry these particular bacteria that cause Lyme. 

We are constantly being bitten when in the garden and the bites swell and itch but not all are tick bites.

You are not neurotic just over -anxious- as most intelligent and sensitive people are.

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply I am hoping Gp will give me antibiotics tomorrow that would stop me worrying with a bit of luck x
  • Posted

Hi, Robbo: You are still within the window to a cure. PRESS your Doc for FOUR weeks of doxycycline. That is very important. Get lots of rest. Epsom sakt baths can ease muscle aches. This early a Lyme test will come back negative. Do not let a doc rely on that for prescribing. He/she took an oath to do no harm. He/she will do harm by **not** giving you a full month of doxy. Be well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.