Tics from early infancy continuing until adulthood

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi,

So I have had a motor tic that was noticed by my mum when I was a newborn baby. I'm now 27 and this has been persistent throughout my life.

It has changed a bit in that time (as a baby, it was a full body shudder - now it is either a head shake along with shrugging my shoulders, or a violent tilt of my head upwards).

It doesn't massively bother me apart from being a little distracting and the very occasional bashing my head on a shelf behind me - and I can supress it for a time, but I can still feel it there.

Sometimes it is much more frequent etc - often impacted by when I am: tired, cold, have had alcohol, or just when I notice it is happening. I have sometimes gone months whilst hardly noticing having any tics, and other times, I will do it about 40 times a day for a week.

When I've googled tic disorders, I can never find ANYTHING about tics starting so early and persisting for so long.

So basically....

1. Is anybody aware of situations where tics present in this way?
  2. Are there ways to reduce the frequency of tics when they are particularly often?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.