hi everyone. I am 66yrs old and for quite a while have had

tightness at top of stomach as though I am wearing a bra

when I am not! now my stomach tends to bloat in the evening

and I look pregnant. I do have a hiatus hernia which hasnt

caused me problems usually. can anyone help? thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Are you by any chance taking beta blockers or any meds that could cause reaction?

Sorry for asking, but I had the weirdest reaction to these kind of medication before a typical allergic rash prompted to stop taking it.

(E.g. symptoms: the tightness like a bra (and I couldn't wear any due to this feeling), strange breathing, bloating, feeling awful standing and sitting, only lying felt good)

Symptoms disappeared within 2 days after stopping medication (and causing tachycardia to come back full blast, but was easier to take than the side effects)

• Posted

Hm, really difficult.

I hope it's 'just' some digestive problem, the field for reasons seems huge.

A start would be to see what you eat and how you react (intolerances?).

If there were other symptoms too (diarrhea, constipation, pain...).

Staying well hydrated and taking good probiotics daily can already be done and crossed off as a reason when you see your doc.

I would go to doc, tell him what was going on, if additional symptoms existed, maybe do  an SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) test, maybe even a colonoscopy or barium x-ray.

Until then did you try fennel, dandelion or ginger tea?

Maybe it's sugar or sweetener?

If you have a hiatus hernia, do you suffer reflux into oesophagus and are on some protone pump inhibitor medication? Maybe the bloating comes from them? Or because not taken?

Please ask your doc.

Bloating and the tightness are horrid, 

all the best!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.