Tightness in chest asthma returned?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, I am a 30yr old female. I had asthma as a kid and eventually outgrew it. I live in Vermont. Over these last two years, each spring i get seasonal allergies. The end of march i noticed that i sometimes randomly get shortness of breath. When this happens it feels like I am taking a deep breath and holding it. I'm obviously not holding my breath but that's how it feels. It goes away after a few seconds . My doctor prescribed me an Albuterol inhaler and the sensation i get goes away when i use the inhaler. Is this something that will stop once allergy season ends? Its a very scary feeling and i already have generalized anxiety so I'm trying not to let my imagination get the best of me. I know I'm in good health and this is just another challenge to work through. I broke and dislocated my ankle back in November. I needed 2 plates and 12 screws. So im still working on walking properly. 🤣

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

Hi! I'm not sure how much of this helps you, but I have read that anxiety can make asthma symptoms worse, and allergy symptoms and asthma can be very closely intertwined. I'm in my early 40s, was diagnosed with mild asthma when I was 12 by an allergist. I started seeing a pulmonologist about 6-7 years later, was on the asthma meds (inhalers, a daily pill). When I reached my late 20s-early 30s I found the asthma symptoms had subsided a lot. I got married at 33, moved pretty far away from home... it was a new area and I was far away from my family and most of my friends. I had big time separation anxiety and ended up taking meds for it for a short time. I would get panic attacks, would get pain in my chest and feel as if I were hyperventilating, shortness of breath, etc. I didn't take my rescue inhaler for it, though. After I got more accustomed to my situation it eased up (I had more problems of another nature later on, but that's a different story).

It sounds to me like the anxiety is probably the main cause of your shortness of breath, and allergy season starting around the end of March isn't much help either. What does your doctor say, does he think it's asthma? If you could see a pulmonolgist and he could do a spirometry test on you, it would help better diagnose it. If anything it'd probably give you some peace of mind. I'd be more concerned about asthma if I had a more persistent cough and some wheezing with symptoms getting worse at night. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.