Tightness in head and black vision, any ideas?

Posted , 6 users are following.

This has been happening to me for a while and I've searched and searched, but nothing's come up. Every once in a while when I stand up, I'll get this tightness in my head, like someone is holding my brain in their hands and squeezing. I'll grab something to steady myself and then the pain will get more intense and vision will blacken, but I'll still be alert, hearing things and people around me, I can still move. Then, the pain will dissipate and my vision will come back. It only lasts a few seconds, a minute at the most. Any ideas?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Wow, that sounds frightening.  Have you seen a neurologist?  If not, it would be a good idea to call your GP and ask for a referral.  It could be your eyes but it could be something else too.
  • Posted

Keep an ongoing record of all your symptoms, frequency and anything else you think might be connected. When you see anyone (medics) about this, take your record with you. I'd also recommend having someone go with you, if possible/practical, as a second person listening is always helpful, so you can chat about it afterwards. not to mention, if you're having a bad day, pain wise, it can be very easy to miss information.

Your description of feeling like your brain is being squeezed, sounds just like I'd describe my head pains. Mine are an after effect of cetebrovascular surgery I had in 2012. When I told my surgeon about it, he said that it was 'low level' (I wouldn't describe it as LOW anything!) hydrocephalus. When I have the worst pains, I become very sensitive to even fairly bright light. I find that any kind of cold or even slight sniffle, sets me off, too. I don't know if this is at all relevant, but I hope you get to the bottom of your problem soon, good luck.

• Posted

You need to see your doctor. Possibly something to do with your blood pressure but anything that disturbs your vision should be investigated.
  • Posted

This sounds very much like a circulation issue. You say everything goes black.... but does it? Or is it more a case of grey, brown (like cafe au lait), or even red. If you can be more precise, this can give a clue as to what is going on. In the meantime, have you seen your doctor and investigated the slight possibility that you may have a small blood-clot or narrowing of the artery supplying the brain. If what you see is totally black, that does seem to be an issue around the back of the eye (but both eyes at once?). Please see your doctor as soon as you can, but make sure you give as much precise information as possible as so many health problems overlap. Good luck... And take good care of YOU. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.