Time to stop taking codeine. Help

Posted , 2 users are following.

I mainly take 2 Co codamols and 2 nurofen plus once a day and at night after work. It helps with stress, and muscle tension. I originally took them for back pain but now, that's not the case. It's the calming effect. I am aware paracetamol is risky so I prefer nurofen. I never take more than 3 Co codamols at once or 4 a day. Its quite easily manageable as I don't like taking them through the day. Same for Nurofen. I haven't exceeded the daily dose of either so I'd like to think I'm not in to deep. Checked my organs via tests and all is OK. I cut down my drinking which was good, 3 or 4 days off per week now. Content with that. I am considering just stopping taking them completely and then occasionally using them but I don't know.

I went through a stage where I wasn't aware taking 4 at once was risky but I learned it was and stopped.

I take zolpidem to sleep but recently not all the time and thats been a lifetime thing due to severe sleep trauma.

I just feel like what's the point in this, I don't actually need them and would survive fine without them. Any advice without judgement please? I feel its routine that's the problem and not addiction. Like alcohol it was routine and I broke that routine now I feel OK.

I feel I'd worry less about my life if I just stopped taking them and realised I can enjoy a drink responsibly like my wife and take my prescriptions as required.

I feel right now this is something I need to stop. I mean on that dose I'm not even sure I'd have withdrawals. I've went days without and not had any issues.

I had a plan to just not take any 2 days of the week, in a row and then the other 5 days will fall Into place. I'm absolutely terrified of any street drugs and Ive never taken any. I have anxiety issues and it's this fine line of being stress free vs not taking anything like alcohol or my anxiety medication to unwind. I feel I'm constantly just trying to find a balance and I got into a routine. Never take them together alcohol, always have 4 hours between.

I sleep in two bursts of 4 hours or so. I think if I didn't and slept say just 7 hours then up I'd not take any at all. Think I probably need to do that again as that's maybe where the routine started. Either way I think I just want rid of them. Just don't know how to tackle it at all.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

so how ya doing now, did ya manage to stop, ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.