Timing of biopsy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Several months ago, my doctor attempted to do an endometiral biopsy as part of a workup related to a fibroid diagnosis and heavy periods,  but could not complete it.  Something about the fibroid or my anatomy or the fibroid distending my uterus...she wasn't very clear.  

My periods got better over the next few months, so I didn't reschedule another attempt.  Then this month everything has been crazy.  I've been bleeding for about 20 days so far.  I felt the regular discomfort with ovulation, then started bleeding a little bit every day until my period came on heavy.  Then it seemed to slow down, but it's still continuing.  Anyway, I called and she gave me misoprostol to take a few hours before the procedure.  Supposedly it loosens things up.  The office called yesterday and told me the insurance approval for the procedure had come through.  

Now I'm just stalling on scheduling it.  She told me before that the best time to do it is just as I'm starting to spot before my period because that's when the lining is thickest.  Since this month has been so crazy, it's hard to judge a timeline.  Today is Tuesday.  To top it off, we have relatives coming in next Wednesday and staying for about a week.  

I could try to schedule it for Monday or Tuesday of next week, but then I'll be worrying about it while the relatives are here.  I'm thinking about trying to schedule it for the same day they leave, which should be the beginning of my next cycle based on my last one, but if this bleeding continues...

I just don't know.  I'm 44 and trying to tell myself that this is just due to the fibroid and perimenopause, but there's that imagination going...

Was anyone else ever informed that there is a specific time in the cycle to schedule a biopsy? 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had an endometrial biopsy on 8/16/16. I wasn't told that there was a specific time. However, when I told my gynecologist that I would possibly be on my cycle (first or second day), she said that was fine, but they would end up pulling more blood than they would normally like to pull for the test. Interesting difference of opinions.

• Posted

Hi, my gynae also had a problem taking a biopsy, then she did the sameness yours, gave me medication to take before the procedure so I rescheduled. Unfortunately she was still unable to complete it without causing me considerable pain and distress, so I ended up having it done under sedation in the theatre. I was bleeding each time, but my fibroids were so large and numerous I could never guarantee a time I wasn't bleeding! BTW I am 58 so supposedly post-menopausal. Finally all was declared normal, but due to a previous ablation and the fibroids bleeding, my endometrium was engorged and the uterus misshapen. 

• Posted

I only agreed to have this done when under general as part of a procedure to remove a fibroid. So I dont know about different times. This does seem to just reinforce that this is not a straight forward procedure to just agree to when you pop in for a consultation. They try to just tick the box and do it when you first go, but I said no. It then turned out it could be done as part of a procedure when I would not feel anything. These things all need thinking through. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.