Tingling and numbness in foot after minimal invasive surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all. This is my first post, I have been reading a lot of your discussions and it seems a really good place to get information. I had keyhole (MIS) surgery on my foot just over two weeks ago. Towards the end of the two weeks the dressings were driving me mad, they were so tight and felt like they were digging in. Also my foot felt alternatively very cold or very hot and swollen. I do suffer with my circulation and now I have had the dressings off I'm finding a lot of tingling and numbness in my foot and even ankle , my foot is very bruised and swollen, quite purple and I'm finding it hard to walk properly on my toe so am walking on the edge of my foot. I have read so many reports of this surgery being so easy and pain free but I'm not finding this at all. When i saw the consultant at two weeks he barely had time to even look at my foot and gave me no advice. Does my foot sound normal after this surgery especially the tingling ? thank you

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Two weeks is still pretty fresh surgery and the swelling, pain and other issues are common. elevate and ice. keep foot above the heart.

as for your ankle, make sure you move it in circles and extended and flex it multiple times a day. I found doing this when my foot or ankle hurts, relieves a lot of the pain and stiffness.

• Posted

hi Darna. thank you for your advice. did you have Minimally invasive surgery? if so were you given exercises to do after the dressings came off. ?

• Posted

I was told by the doctor to move ankle and have been going to PT. I have three screws and had a very large degree of deviation to my bones. The second toe was also moved and have neuromas between my second and third toe and 4th and 5th toes which I had surgery on before but failed. They were hoping by fixing the bunion it would free up the other toes but no luck.

• Posted

If you can walk at all after two weeks, you are very lucky. I could not walk and was not allowed to walk for 6 weeks after surgery. But again, my surgery was not minimally invasive.

• Posted

i half wish i had the traditional surgery as with this at two weeks the dressings came off and you are expected to put a shoe on and walk. i feel very left to get on with it without much help and it feels too rushed. . But everyone else who has this surgery seems to be driving and back to normal so quickly.!!

• Posted

Did Dr. Blitz do it? I contemplated having him do it since I read a lot about his minimally invasive surgery but my insurance would not cover it.

• Posted

I think minimally invasive is deceiving. They still do the same thing once inside and you still end up with broken bones and screws.

• Posted

the only difference is they don't make the big cut down the foot. All you read on line is how pain free it is and how everyone was driving and back at work in a week etc. My experience us nit the same!!

• Posted

Hi there, Thank you for your post a while back about minimally invasive surgery. I am just over three weeks minimally invasive, both feet, and I am struggling. Yes I was able to "walk" out of the surgery in a surgical shoe (feet were still numb so no pain then) but really this has been a very painful and frustrating experience. I am not able to walk yet, still hobbling around on heels with the surgical shoes. My feet feel fragile , battered, and kind of numb. The swelling is minimal but that's because I keep them elevated all day and night, except for bathroom breaks as it's too painful to stand up for more than a few minutes.

I am looking into physical therapy starting at 4 weeks post op, hoping that will help move things along towards less discomfort.

Now that it's been some time since your experience, how are you doing now and when was it that your reached a positive turning point? Just looking for a bit of inspiration. I am eager to get back to something close to normal.

Thank you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.