Tinnitus and anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi does anybody suffer with tinnitus through anxiety?im a very health anxious person and sufferd a low hum/rumble sound in my left ear for about 3 years now my gp and ent have said no cure for it and my hearing is perfect but i do suffer from tension headaches because of my stress and anxietyso i was wondering if tinnitus a symptom

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

When I talk to people I find that many have tinnitus but just don't care (same with eye floaters, mild headaches, muscle spasms etc.). Anxious people notice it and look at it as over the magnifying glass, same to all the other symptoms they may have.

I know because I am this kind of anxious person. But I also know that tinnitus is not resulting in ears. All the hearing is processed in brain and actually brain can decide what to hear and what to ignore. For example, there are people that live by the railroad and are not bothered any more by the passing trains. Brain dismisses this sound as not informative and boring. It learns to shut it down. It can shut down tinnitus unless you concentrate on it. This is like having an elephant in your room and trying not to think about it. When I talked to the otoneurologist, and told her that my tinnitus sometimes is low and sometimes loud, she said, no, it is the same all the time, but your perception of it varies.

So it is manageable over time. So yes, try to deal with your anxiety and tinnitus will become something you ignore if not all then most of the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.