Tinnitus for 7 weeks, very scared and suicidal please help

Posted , 7 users are following.

So i have had tinnitus for about 7 weeks after coming off a plane. I could hear a wooshing air noise when i got off the plane which soon got replaced with really loud constant ringing in both ears. The wooshing air noise comes back when im around a fan or wind. My hearing tests are normal and so is my typo test. I am so so scared that i almost vomit and also very suicidal. Is this likely to pass or resolve? Please help im so so desprate for help 😭😭 im only 19

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. You are only 19 which is so young for this. You will be OK. Your brain will get used to it and you will be fine. It takes a bit of getting used to but it does become easier and you will move on with a normal life. So many people have this it's crazy. Give yourself some time. Xxx

• Posted

Have you been to see a doctor to check whether you have an ear infection?

How is your general health otherwise?

Do you have a good daily diet of meat and vegetables?

• Posted

You will be ok. Try not to panic.

I got tinnitus about a year and a half ago (I'm 28 now) and I thought my life was over. Long story short - anxiety attacks, suicidial, gave up everything, thought I was going deaf...

Things I did to help:

See your GP and get your ears looked at by an ENT to rule out any physical problems - when they tell you there's nothing wrong accept it and move on

White noise - I sleep with a fan on, I have a radio on during the day, anything so that you are not in a silent room as this will make it seem louder

Exercise - so good for your anxiety and will help you sleep

Diet - I've found that nothing really makes it better or worse it's just your perception of it - if you think to yourself, oh this cup of coffee is going to make my tinnitus worse then it will probably feel worse as you're focused on it. So eat chocolate, drink coffee - don't give anything up!

Protect your ears in very loud environments like clubbing or if there's a band at a wedding - it's not worth the risk - it will definitely feel worse after loud noise exposure but would probably go back to its usual level anyways but I always wear ear plugs at weddings

Look at tinnitus websites for positive stories - avoid all negative stories like the plague - they won't help you at all, just focus on how people live perfectly normally with tinnitus

See if your local hospital has a tinnitus clinic - I saw a wonderful lady who helped so much with all my anxiety about doing anything and she also gave me some in war white noise makers that helped when I was at my lowest

CBT - if you are really anxious and have stopped doing everything. This helped me get back into going to the gym, running outside, going back to work etc.

Try just to accept that you have it. Don't listen for it, just notice that it's there then distract yourself with whatever you are doing. Please just try to carry on as usual and don't let it get to you. It will get easier to cope with and your brain will naturally begin to block it out. It might not ever go - but you need to accept that and move on.

I still hear my tinnitus every day but I don't focus on it. I just get on with my work, looking after my daughter, going to the gym etc. I'm never in a silent room - I still sleep with the fan on all night for background noise. I have accepted it will never go and is a part of me. I wish it would go but I'm ok and have gradually got used to it. You will be ok I promise.

• Posted

Seven weeks isn't that long compared to those that have had it for years.

Some of us have both Tinnitus and Pulsatile Tinnitus.

Tinnitus can be caused by infections, Prescription drugs, loud noise, physical damage, over zealous ear cleaning, head trauma and many more causes ..... it might disappear or it might carry on for years.

Pulsatile Tinnitus however is caused by a vascular complaint, and can be the precursor to something much more serious. Pulsatile Tinnitus can sometimes be cured with surgery.

There is no proof that a specific diet can stop Tinnitus, and it's worth thinking about what was going on when the problem first started.

Take a look at the various Tinnitus support groups on Facebook, and the national support groups.

Good luck.

• Posted

I used to attend a Tinnitus help group but stopped going as I felt it made it worse.
  • Posted

I feel for you and know exactly how your thinking, and don't at all wish to scare you, the honest truth it may not stop, I've had mine 21 years, it is very rarely related to anything serious, I cope by trying to ignore it you must try not to concentrate on it, you should try to get into a certain mindset, don't hate it it only makes it worse, push it out of your head, as I say I know exactly how desperate you feel, I very much hope in your case it goes.

• Posted

I have tried white noise generators a few years ago without much luck, and I do wear ear protection ie plugs where there's any noise above the norm, in my case above 70 dbs I have a phobia to noise in general I suppose.

• Posted

Praying for wisdom and peace from above in walking this out as well...  blessings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.