Tinnitus only at certain places. It is possible

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had tinnitus from the time i was 5 years old.

I first noticed the high pitched sound when I was in a Sears store in Dallas, Tx.

Later on I would hear this high pitch constant ring when I was in any large department store.

I tried to tell my mom about the noise, but she said she did not hear it. I tried to duplicate the sound

by trying to whistle in the highest pitch I could muster. It was a poor attempt to describe the sound.

I have it more frequently now that I am older and have just come to accept it, like one would do with eye

floaters, which are small flecks of protein called collagen, I just ignore it.

I wanted to post this to see if anyone else had this experience in department stores.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

does the noise only happen when you are in a large store? How about when you are home or inside a large movie theater or stadium?

• Posted

I hear it all the time now, but I tune it out by staying busy.

The department store was when I first heard the ringing. I was 5 years old. I have lived with it for so long that it has become the norm for me to hear the ringing. It is a high pitch sound that is similar to a television station when it goes off the air, but even higher pitched.

Hope that answered your question.

Do you have tinnitus? When was the original onset? How old?

• Posted

what does your ENT (ear/nose/throat) doctor say regarding this? Did they give you a hearing test? Have you been tested for allergies? Do you think you have allergies? If you think you have allergies what meds are you taking to alleviate? And are you taking any meds for any thing? Sometimes meds can cause tinnitus. How is your blood pressure? If it is high that can cause tinnitus.

• Posted

I will try to pull up my ENT report, but I do know they did not find anything significant. I was given a full battery of hearing test and again they found nothing wrong. I was then sent to neurologist and they found nothing.

I do have allergies, but I was never given a specificity test. I take a Loratadine 10mg

While I appreciate the heads up on medications, that would not have any bearing due to the fact the onset was 5 years of age. I was never on medications as a child.

I am currently on BP meds, but I was not on them until 10 years ago. How would that explain the ringing from 5 years of age until now.

• Posted

Since all of your audiology tests came back negative it sounds like your tinnitus problem is likely related to your allergies (I have that problem too). I have a couple of suggestions that might help you.

1. Instead of using Loratadine consider using a nasal spray antihistamine such as Azelastine HC1 (prescription required). But before you use the spray, rinse out your sinus' with an over the counter sinus rinse (this is important because you need to remove allergins from your nasal/sinus area prior to using the nasal spray antihistamine)
      2. Ask your ENT to prescribe Ativan 0.5mg. Ativan can be effective in calming the inner/middle ear and tends to reduce tinnitus. It will not eliminate it but will likely lower the intensity of the noise.

Let me know how you are doing after these changes.

• Posted

Thank you for the advice. I will discuss this medication with my doctor.

You still seem to not recognize that these tinnitus symptoms started at age 5 and I only first noticed it inside a Sears department store. What would explain that. Every time I went with my mother from that time on I would hear the ringing intensify inside department stores like J.C. Penny, Sears, etc...

I doubt it had anything to do with allergies at that age and only noticeable at department stores.

Please give me your ideas on the early onset.

• Posted

According to: https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tinnitus-only-at-certain-places-it-is-possible-708878?page=0&utm_source=forum%2csendgrid&utm_campaign=comment-notification%2cPatient.info&utm_medium=email%25AppendToUrl%25%2cemail#3566294

Some of the most common off-label Ativan uses include:

Irritability

Mania from bipolar disorder

Seizures

Vomiting from chemotherapy

Symptoms of alcohol withdrawal

Off-label Xanax use can address:

Irritable bowel syndrome

Ringing in the ears

Severe cases of premenstrual syndrome

Essential tremor

• Posted

Sorry but I have no idea why you would notice tinnitus inside Sears' stores (and others) when you were a child. But since you still have tinnitus....and I assume you would like to get recommendations regarding that too.... let's try to focus on what you can do now to alleviate the symptoms. I think my suggestions may be a good place to start. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.