Tired of my Blepharitis! What else can I do? Really long lashes after diagnosis?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Im so tired of this already! I'm traumatized already, I cant clean because I'm scared I might touch something and then put it in my eyes, even though I'm washing my hands constantly.

The itcheness on the base of my eyelashes has been unbearable and just want to scratch it, but I know it will get irritated. Also I know it might sound weird, but since my diagnosis my eyelashes are extremely long, the ones on the bottom are almost the same lenght as my top lashes, which is really annoying. My eyelids are always swollen, red and look like something poke me. Any other remedies to control this? 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gabriela, sorry you're having a rough time.

I have seen an Ophthalmologist for years and became tired of different doctors/nurses telling me different ways of dealing with Blepharitis, so I asked the Consultant [I don't know what country you are in but in the UK, the Consultant is the most senior doctor].  He told me to use a hot compress on my eyes - put a drop of mild handwash or similar into very hot water.  Soak a face cloth in this and place over your eyes until it cools.  Repeat 2 or 3 times twice a day.  He also told me not to use any creams at all, near my eyes because these block the meibomian glands.  I haven't had a problems with Blepharitis for years now.

I hope this helps you.

• Posted

I forgot, my eye lashes had been falling out because of the Bleph but since things have improved, my eyelashes have regrown, thicker and longer!
  • Posted

Mrs Mopp. I am going to try the hot clothes. Not had this advice from any medical person (UK) I have seen.

Regards

• Posted

They tend to tell you to put a spot of baby shampoo in an eggcup of water and use a cotton bud along the lash edge, which achieves nothing!

You might also find ocular lubricants helpful too, especially if you use computers a lot

• Posted

Yes Mrs Mop. I was told about the baby shampoo 1st off. Never did it. But I do put in liques tears, which do help a lot, but from time to time the eyes go back to being itchy, so will try the wet clothes.

Forgot to ask, how many times a day do you do this??

Regards

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your problem.  Just in case you haven' t seen my previous posts about the solution that works for me, I will repeat it.  Get your doc to prescribe a product called Capasal, it is coal tar based which may have something to do with it, (I was originally prescribed this for seborheic dermatitis), you must warm shower every single day using this stuff to wash hair and face around the eyes and other bits if you wish, a body wash gel suffices for the rest of you.  This routine is necesary for me because if ever I can't be bothered to shower for whatever reason by afternoon those eyes are beginning to itch and as you no doubt are aware if you start rubbing them it is like torture.  I was given creams etc which did no good and I did have one or two meibomian gland cysts, but a shower every single day fixed it, nothing wrong with washing anyway.  I don't know if skin type is relevant but I always had oily skin (spotty teenager) it is drier now but I am in my 60s.  P.S.  My original washing regime was with soap, water and flannel daily and shower every few days, but now I avoid the flannel.
  • Posted

I haven't been on this site in a while.....I tried the Wet Ones and had

moderate success.  My lids got so dry and I got a little worried about

it getting in my eyes.  I don't even know where I found this but saw

that Neutrogena Oil Free Make up Remover wipes has Benzathonium

Chloride in them....no strength....but is the last ingredient listed

so bought and tried them and my eyes are a lot better.  Might

not be a cure but it sure is a help and no problem in putting in the

eye.  Says you can just leave it on.  I do clean after l5 minutes.

If you're in the U.K, not sure you can get this but sure worth a try

if you're leery of the Wet Ones...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.