Tired of sleeping on my back

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I'm 11 days in on rthr and was wondering when can you sleep on your side? I'm talking more on the side not operated on? I'm using a pillow under my legs to help with back discomfort as my physical therapist recommended and am using king size pillow which is whole length of my leg to foot. It's not too bad. But I've always been more of a side sleeper.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I have seen opinions on both sides of this. You should really defer to the advice of your surgeon as none of us know enough about the specifics of your case to give meaningful opinions and the timing which is specifically appropriate to you may be the key point.

The points I've heard include: staying on your back keeps your hips balanced and reduces inadvertent turning and twisting of the operated hip and therefore lowers risk of harming soft tissues in the process of healing and adhering to the new hip as well as as the risk of dislocating your hip. I think this position may also be better for keeping your foot slightly elevated to reduce swelling pooling there and it is certainly easier to do the for pumps and rotations in this position ... to minimize cramping and the restless leg ...

Others have been given the go ahead early on ... I wonder if this lines up with those who had the anterior approach.

Bottom line - the decision is really in your hands and what you feel safe doing. And I know only too well how the sleepless nights take a toll on one.

Good luck.

L

• Posted

Thank you for the info!! I will stay on my back till I see my dr. My therapist asked me to try it but I didn't like it!!

• Posted

I'm just over four weeks post op for both hips replaced at once (anterior). I've been told that I can sleep on my side, but I'm kind of afraid too, just in case (definitely don't want to dislocate a hip!). Do you have an easy chair or comfortable sofa or love seat you can sleep in

• Posted

I've found that I sleep better in a love seat with my feet alternating during the night between elevated over one edge or bent up at the knees but gently leaning against the side of the love seat. I also get up during the night and when I do go back to my bed, it's okay on my back for a while.

• Posted

Wow both hips?? I have a recliner but using a king size pillow has really helped!! I just sometimes need to go to the side but I'm scared. Like you I don't want to dislocate my new hip!!!

• Posted

Hi Linda....every doctor is different.  My doctor told me I could be on the operated side ONLY AND ONLY IF I HAD A PILLOW BETWEEN MY LEGS!..FOREVER!!!

He prefer I only sleep on my back (which gets sore)...so, since he is the doctor I am trying to do what he says.  I am 15 weeks out now...and believe me, I miss "side sleeping"

• Posted

Yea that's what the physical therapist told me too, about the pillow, no way I would on operated leg but maybe the left side. Thanks for the advice!

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I have been sleeping on my back since RTHR 5 weeks ago. I was told I could sleep on the other side with a pillow but it also was not comfortable, until a couple of nights ago. Hang in there it will get better!

Lorrena

• Posted

Thanks! I'm looking forward to being able to move without AIDS and sleep better too!

• Posted

hi golflady ....

wow, that is like a life sentence and would scare the bejezus out of me --- interesting - do you mind sharng with us why he told you to sleep on your back or on operated leg with pillow forever?

did you have your follow up appointment and if so, is everything okay?

were there any complications ?

sorry for asking these questions, but it seems so harsh 

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

hi linda , 

it is true what linda38528 says --- different and also contradictionary ....

I was allowed to sleep on unoperated side 2 days post-op, with pillow between knees - I was taught how to turn with pillow - On operated side I could sleep after staples were removed and when I felt comfortable doing so -

I had 2 THR surgeries within 6 months - I slept mostly on my back but having the option to sleep on side made the difference ....

I sleep with body pillow for years so no problem for me there ....

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Well on 3rd day o thr I tried it on unoperated side and I felt a pop and got scared. My therapist said to try it with pillow between legs but I still didn't care much for it. Felt weird. Guess it's gonna take awhile. ?? Thanks! ????

• Posted

Yep, it's not nice when you are a side sleeper (I was too), and I had to go through this all again 10 weeks after the initial operation.  So I had 12 weeks sleeping on my back ...... and I hated it, but I am told it ensures that your new hip recovers in the correct position (ironic as my ceramic insert is in the wrong place, but it was immediately after the operation, so nothing to do with sleeping position).

I flexed my good leg, raised my knees together, supported them (andmy back) with pillows, and listened to soothing music on my ipod ..... 

And I'm going to have to do it all again .... when I get my joint seen to again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.