Titration in Methadone Treatment:Pros & Cons

Posted , 4 users are following.

For those of us on Methadone maintenance, I believe unless we have ongoing chronic pain or health issues etc that we need to keep in mind that 'titration' or slowly becoming drug-free is an essential part of the program or should be anyway.Are you the type of addict who would like to stay on the program indefinitely or eventually become drug-free? I'm not judging anybody...just asking.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'd like to stay drug free but doubt that I have the ability to do it.

• Posted

But the closer I get to the end of my treatment, the better I'm sleeping and am worrying less. Some people can only go so far. I HOPE i SHALL BE ONE WH GOES ALL THE WAY, HOWEVER LONG IT TAKES.

• Posted

I hear you.I believe taking one's time, however long that may take and regardless of the cost would be what's most effective.I think to rush something like titration would be a mistake..God bless.

• Posted

One of the cons or something that an addict on Methadone treatment need's to be aware of is (this is primarily for those on Level 5 -a week's take home in my state) or those who take an extra dose home for Sunday if your clinic is closed on that day....is the temptation to take your dose much too early.That can sometimes be a long rather uncomfortable wait until Monday.But what's much worse is to begin taking a little extra from your week's take home. Methadone is so tricky that once an addict begins doing that it can easily become a habit, no matter how much you tell yourself it won't.I've personally known a fellow addict who left himself short for 2 1/2 days because he kept skimming from his other dose bottles and eventually trying to get that little bit of euphoria and warm feeling that Methadone gives...deceived himself and ran out, like I already mentioned, for 2 1/2 days..Now, it's never a good thing to be "dope sick" like us addict's know, but it's really bad, a virtual hell, when it comes to being "dope sick" from Methadone.The best way to deal with something like that is to never skim in the first place. Because once an addict climbs aboard that roller-coaster...it can be extremely difficult to get back off again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.