TKR 5 Days ago

Posted , 5 users are following.

After a long wait for the first of two planned op's for me, my TKR went ahead last Wednesday ( UK)  And I have to say I have not found the experience so far that bad at all. 

Now i don't think I am any braver than anyone else, but in comparison to bone grafts, and breaking my femur, Tib/Fib, this so far has been easier.

I had a GE ( due to spinal issues) and a nerve block which lasted around 6 hrs after the op. The first night was uncomfortable, but never agony, and physio was started on day two getting just over 50% but had real difficulty raising my leg at first, but slight improvement later. 

So far very happy with how things are going despite a wee set back today ( icing a bit more as swellings increased today) 

Hopefully things continue slowly improving of the next few weeks, my Consultant has already said we will discuss the next Op ( THR) same leg at the 6-8wk mark.

So all in all, glad I have had it done, and looking forward to slow gains over the coming weeks. Pain at present is ranging between 2- 5 on the scale with 30/500 Codeine / paracetamol 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Good for you:-)

I think the difference is when you have already had major surgical procedures you are in a way used to the pain afterwards, and when it happens it's not such a shock.

I coped quite well also, having had major spinal and other ops done over the years, it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

I expect you are the kind of person who will get on wwith it.

Good luck with your THR.

• Posted

I think you hit the nail on the head about the previous procedures which maybe conditions a person as to what to expect.
  • Posted

Hi Clive

?Glad to know you are doing OK as I am on a waiting list myself for 1 TKR, though I reckon the other knee is deteriorating due to taking the strain.

?I've just had a lot of illness and a different surgery so I am not sure how I will cope with any more but I've stayed on the list as it took over a year to get the other surgery

?How long did you wait?

?I've posted before asking about pain levels as I can't take most painkillers for various reasons and I see on here that you need them.

?I'm also very weak and not fit due to the impaired mobility from my knee problem plus general arthritis and after being ill so long and not getting exercise.

?So I am interested to follow your post, obviously you are not in the same situation but to get a range of experiences as textbooks and doctors tell us different things, while real patients I would believe - allowing for us all being different of course.

?Hope your recovery goes well!

• Posted

You sound like me Cynthia, try not to worry, you will get through it and come out the other side. I had to have both knees done, and the second was easier to cope with.

I have arthritis all over, and quite bad in hips, so general fitness is awful.

I basically just expected to write off a couple of months at least, and the time passed, I'm over a year post last tkr now, and the awful pain is gone. Have some stiffness but miles better than the pain.

Sorry Clive for hijacking your thread!

• Posted

Thanks, Laura. That does make me feel better. Good to know it will be worth it.

?The surgeon's parting shot was "lose as much weight as you can before surgery". I'm not skinny but not a large person, have not eaten much for a year due to digestive issues and I don't know how I can get enough exercise as I just had abdo surgery too! I have lipoedema which is like cellulite on the upper leg and around knees, maybe that is what he meant, been trying for years to shift that.

?I'm so glad you have less pain, even some remaining stiffness must be a big improvement, we know that we will not be as good as a "real" knee ever was, just next best thing.

?Thanks to you (and Clive) biggrin

• Posted

I was at the srage where my knee was dislocating all the time, and back so bad I can't stand for long, was dreading surgery.

I will never be skinny! I can't exercise enough to even walk much.

But I can cope with pain, believe me you will be so much better once you have got over the initial recovery, the stiffness is nothing compared to what was there before.

• Posted

Over 3 yrs, lost my career through it. I had a bad RTA back in the 80's causing compound fractures to the Femur, Tib/ Fib, 9 wks in hospital 

( Thomas Splint) out for a month, then back in for bone graft and external fixation for non Union of the Tib.

Currently working through the joints need img replaced, but my real issue is complex spinal issues,,Instability and Stenosis and to top it all DDL

Neurosurgeons were planning a fusion last year but due to the joint problems it was shelved for the time being. They will re assess after the hip joint has been done and enough recovery time been given, but don't seem keen on the spinal surgery , but I'll just have to wait and see what relief I get from these two op's

• Posted

Bless you, that has been a lot to go through. I see you have a positive approach and that should help you continue to get better.
    • Posted

Spinal fusion is a last option, mine didn't help, I just kept growing more bone on the graft which twisted my back more.

You've been through such a lot, and more to come. Give your body a chance to rest and heal.

• Posted

Hopefully you are one of the lucky ones I had a spinnal block I guess not done correctly as I had pain in the recovery room after the operation and could move and feel my tones.

Good healing

• Posted

Sounds good.

Hang in there.

Tip for raising the leg.

Use a dressing gown belt (or similar) as a lever.

As leg gets stronger you will need to use this less.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah

Sarah

• Posted

Great tip i had been using a big woolly neck scarf of my wife's cheesygrin

• Posted

Well over a week since the Op, sleeping ok with just a couple of times waking during the night, swelling still pretty bad, especially after excercise / PT. 

A quick question I was reaching around 76 degrees on release from hospital and despite trying to push further it just does not seem possible at the moment, is this likely due to the continuing swelling.

I ice and raise the left at regular intervals to try and keep the swelling in check. Otherwise very happy with how things are going, even managing to walk 400 yes with crutches to the GP's for dressing change.

Cheer's

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.