Toe fusion and bunionectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a bunionectonomy great toe fusion and hammer toe correction 6 weeks ago on my right foot. I also had the top of the great toe fixed due to dislocation. Good God what a long recovery. I'm now wrapping it with co flex to keep the swelling down so it can heal better apparently. I'm still in a low boot and I'm truly keeping off of it as much as possible however I have to live. I ride motorized carts when in the store but I live in a split level which is mainly capeted and that is tough to heel around on. I'm in no pain but I had alot of the feeling of pulling when I walked. That subsided now just alittle burning in the toe at times not always. I'm a bartender and it looks like I won't return until december and that will only get 2 days per week. I hope to ski this winter but I doubt. Well wishes to everyone going thru the same. Keep patient and trust the journey

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I would bet another 6 weeks and you will be doing great!! Has your doctor mentioned a bone stimulator? Really increases healing!! Stay off that foot. So difficult. I have had a shoulder replacement and ACL surgery but the 5th metatarsal break being non weight bearing has been the mist challenging!!
    • Posted

Thanks so much Sandi I sure hope you're right...actually I'm waiting on the bone stimulator to see if my insurance covers it. I'll keep you posted and oh my god to a shoulder replacement!! Ugh I couldn't imagine I hope it feels better... much success to you!

• Posted

You know, the shoulder was just arthritis from an old horse riding accident. No ligament damage so actually had very little discomfort from that surgery. . Was back riding in 4 months. Not being able to walk is the worst!!  My medicare did NOT approve a  bone stimulator so my physician sent a rep out with one anyway. She thinks they are miraculous so do try to get one. You will laugh because my ins. wanted it to try to heal for 90 days before they would approve. REALLY!! ugh. 
  • Posted

I had an implant put in my second toe and a redo on a bad bunionectomy just this past Tuesday.  The doc put a plate in my foot that has 2 pins and 2 screws., so I wouldn't have to fuse the big toe. I go back to doc tomorrow for first visit. I agree staying off foot is very difficult. Never heard of a bone stimulator. Is everyone a candidate for it?

• Posted

Hi Diane how are you feeling? I'm not sure about everyone being a canidate. I have 2 pins a screw and wires in too but apparently all will disolve and the wire is permanent. I wish I could show a before an after picture. My doc says if I was 16 I'd of been healed already but since over 40 we heal longer the bone stimulator won't hurt and should help some

• Posted

Have no pain right now. I am wrapped with soft dressing and in an air boot. I've been icing and elevating 5 to 6 times a day. I am over 50 but very active and staying off it is driving me nuts. I took 6 weeks off from work. I already had this surgery in February and was out of work for 6 weeks then. I pray it works and I will be pain free and able to do my activities.  Not sure if the stimulator for me since this isn't a fracture" will talk to doc tomorrow.. Thanks for the info and I wish you well.

• Posted

Wow good to hear! Wishing you great healing! I hear you... I've been on the couch since noon!!! The only dirty clothes I feel I have are a change in pajamas!! Ugh hopfully this will be behind us nothing more than a memory!!!

• Posted

Krissy, when did you have your surgery"?  Mine was a week ago today. Today he took stitches out of 2nd toe. Leaving stitches in on big toe for another week.  Still no weight bearing so continue to use my kneeler scooter. None is straight and have no pain when wiggle toe so far.  Have 2 projects to keep me busy for now but am getting cabin fever. 

• Posted

Hi I had surgery 6 weeks today. The stitches in the second toe were taken out I think after 2 weeks of the surgery. The stitches in the big toe were in for 4 weeks. I wish we could share pictures are you on facebook? Where do u live?
    • Posted

Oh I hear you but hang in there!!! I'm so glad you're doing well. I'm just starting to feel a difference. But im walking on my heal still. No pressure yet on my toe it's still healing

• Posted

Hi Krissy 329. How are you feeling?? I am now 7 weeks post surgery. Still not great. Have swelling still and have pain under big toe. Doc is making me an orthotic to try to off load thepressure but i am not convinced it will work..

​I feel like the pain moves from under my big toe and the 2 nd toe.  I had 1 sesamoid removed and he tells me its not that. This is my third surgery. Again my big toe does not lineup properly and the bone is halux varus. I am so frustrated.

• Posted

Guess I need to try Co ex wrap too. I am 4 1/2 weeks out from two midfoot fusions and hammertoe correction - my attitude was get it fixed all at once. Leads to long recovery but only once. Wouldn't consider doing anything for other foot at this point. Still lots of pain, especially if I am on my feet for any amount of time.  Am wearing low boot - how long do people stay in the boot usually?  Would like to know average total healing time?

• Posted

Hang in there!!! I'm 7 1/2 weeks and yesterday I really started walking and moving around better and after just a few hours I need to elevate it the entire afternoon and even after an hour of getting up elevate it at night. I'm still in the boot, wrap my toe and foot where the bunion was with co flex for swelling I still can't drive. It's a process let everything go keep elevating it walk on your geel...I'm just starting to have more access to my foot after walking on my heal for the last 7 weeks it gets better but a slow process. If you're on it it's going to swell and it won't heal. The less the swelling the better and faster the healing. smile

• Posted

Thanks krissy329  I tried going out today  - went for a car ride to see fall leaves, but foot swelled by just sitting in car for 3 hours, had to go home and elevate foot. I am getting depressed and it is hard to see any progress day to day. I hope it is worth it. Is there a turning point?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.