Toe ulcer after hammer toe and bunion correction surgery

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi everyone

I am 2 weeks post op bunion surgery (MICA technique) and had a hammer toe correction. I went for a dressing change 2 days ago and I have developed a 1.5cm ulcer/crater on the inside of my hammer toe, next to the remaining 3 toes. The nurse couldn't see how this developed as it wasn't rubbing against anything, I assume it was the dressing as it was on for 2 weeks. It was oozing the day before my dressing appointment but no one could see me. The area had developed a pus/blood filled blister which she lanced, cleaned and re-dressed with antibacterial dressing. An ugly crater now remains. I go back in a week but it's still bleeding slightly through my new dressing. My surgeon said "its normal". The area aches and is sometimes painful, it is on the cusp of infection which is why I am being seen again in a week and maybe weekly thereafter. I am wondering if anyone had a similar problem? I have read that ulcers take a long time to heal due to the area. Any advice welcome - I am still in the boot and off my feet as much as possible, using crutches and elevation at all times. Thank you.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.