Told both my shoulders need replaced

Posted , 5 users are following.

Avascular Necrosis in both shoulders brought about by 30 year use of corticosteroids for another problem.  I am frightened by this.  I have heard that shoulder replacements are very difficult.  I have come on here to learn about it and hope you all will share the good, the bad and the ugly with me.  

At 56, I have already endured two total hip replacements and 10 months out with the second one.  The second THR has some lingering problems and this is why I have not ventured into my next challenge with the shoulders.  But here in the US, I need to get this done while I am still young or there will be little chance of ever having it done because our new death panels have begun.

Right now my shoulder pain does not overcome me.  Doing the breast stroke in the pool can set off discomfort.  Thank you in advance for sharing with me!

Thanks!

Dawn

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Cortisone treatments can reap Real problems afte.r a few years.  Shoulder surgery is tough because the post op physical therapy is a long process (3 to 8 months ). It is tedious and frankly it hurts! If you do it all and persist with the pt inthe end you will be much better off. It is not a "cake walk" but worth it in the end. I am in the middle of the post op pt, can see the end of the tunnel and am thankfu
    • Posted

Thank you Bob.  This is new territory for me.  
  • Posted

I forgot to mention in my reply that I have had both knees replaced , one totally and one partially , I am 55 years old .
    • Posted

Hi Malcolm!

Found your post today. I, too, had both knees replaced. Now my shoulders are aching and PAIN keeps me awake.

We're your replacements due to Osteoarthritis? I am fearful that it will be joint after joint causing trouble. Osteoarthritis is a very nasty malady!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.