Told to have a hysterectomy and now I'm terrified

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm 36. I had a Myomectomy in March 2014 to remove my fibroids. This was successful, but I was put on a medication to increase fertility since I've had fertility issues with PCOS. This made my fibroids grow back bigger. The biggest was the size of a mango. I had embolisation in January 2020 but it hasn't worked.

I saw a gynaecologist today who scanned me, then told me since the last 2 procedures didn't work and I'm in discomfort then I should have a hysterectomy. I almost started crying. I desperately want children and had been trying for years. She said my fibroids had grown, but she was comparing my current size to 2018 which was 2 years before my last operation. So, I don't know if the last operation worked. I asked what the fibroid measurements were when I had my last procedure and she said there's no record.

She's referring me back to the radiologist who did the embolisation, but I'm terrified he'll say there's nothing he can do so I can't ever have children. Can anyone please at least put my mind at rest that this isn't the end for my dream?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, you need to see at least 2 other doctors before you make that decision. Before you have that surgery make sure to do an amh, prolactin and tsh test this will tell you if you are able to have children with your own eggs. No need to have major surgery if your AMH is too low

• Posted

I agree with other poster. Get a second, third and even forth opinion. I was diagnosed when I was in my twenties and they offered me a hysterectomy then!!! Luckily I said no and I had a baby three years ago BUT I wish I had tried to shrink them naturally before conceiving as it was a terrible pregnancy and the birth nearly killed me thanks to the fibroids.

Since then I've seen four different surgeons: one said I have to have an open myo, another said I can have a laproscopic myo, third said I should consider a hystorectomy and another said I should just get pregnant even with the fibroids!!! All of them scanned me, all of them saw my history... so I guess its the skills and experience of the gyne you speak to. I've opted to go for the laproscopic myo with the knowledge that should anything go wrong it could escalate to an open myo and then a hystorectomy (I really hope it doesn't but you never know). Its crazy how much these things can change from surgeon to surgeon.

• Posted

Relax, it just means that tablets and oils will not do the trick as the diagnosis is in the late stages. You cannot have treatment when the problem is more severe, but you will not die on it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.