Told to stop losartan

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I've been told to come off Losartan by my go as it was making me dizzy and made me feel generally unwell. I was on Ramapril before that...low dose which gave me the same symptoms. My go has said I look like I shouldn't be on no medication. I was only on losartan for 3 weeks but on Ramapril for 9 months. Has anyone had any side effects from stopping Losartan or any kind of BP medication? I trust my go but still think I should have been tapered off them rather than told just too stop. Bit worried which isn't helping my anxiety! Any nice outcomes would be good too read😁😁

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi clare sturdee...I have an issue with you not taking any meds. What you were taking were bp medications to control your bp. I'm sure you know that, but I fail to understand just why your GP told you to stop them, & "it looks like you shouldn't be on any medication". Say, what!!!??? A GP worth his salt will suggest you try something else...perhaps not an ARB (Losartan) or ACE (Rampiril), but a Calcium Channel Blocker, i.e. Norvasc, or Amlodipine which is the generic version. What about monitoring your bp. Yes, the medications you were taking CAN be suddenly stopped without putting you in any sort of health backlash. 

To be truthful here, 3 weeks on a medication isn't long enough to really give the medication a chance to do it's job, unless of course your side effects were intolerable. 

You are at risk of rebound hypertension. Surely your GP should have warned you against this. Get back to him/her. Is is not right.

• Posted

Hi Mike.

I had 2 doctors telling me too stop the meds as both Ramapril and losartan where not agreeing with me. I had taken readings at home after the first go told me too stop it and my reading where coming out good. I took these readings into the go for a 2nd opinion and she told me that I need to come off the meds. I'm waiting to get a 24hr monitor to see if I actually need bp meds. I have anxiety so I think this puts up my no anyway. I also can't settle when I go to the doctor to get my bp taken which also puts it up.

• Posted

clare sturdee...OK...originally you didn't say there were 2 doctors who told you to stop the meds. Telling a patient to stop the meds is one thing, but usually the doctors will suggest an alternative medication. By the way, you keep referring to the doctor(s) as GO. I believe it's GP you're looking for.

Be sure the monitor you're using is accurate. It's going to be difficult to see if it matches your doctor's monitor because you seem to be suffering from "White Coat Syndrome" If you're using a digital monitor, which most people use at home, & the Dr uses a cuff, & squeezes it tight with a little bulb, then it will be difficult to ascertain if your monitor is indeed accurate.

Yes, you get all nervous at the Dr., & you have anxiety. You're right...this DOES drive the numbers UP., & your doctor will tell you the same thing.

I suffered from "White Coat" just over a year ago, because the GP I had back then made me nervous. I was nervous on the way, nervous while awaiting my turn to get in, & the nurse didn't take the bp readings correctly either. My right arm was extended, my feet were dangling, & she pumped the arm band so tight at times it felt as though the circulation in my arm was being cut off. Then there were times when I hardly felt the cuff at all. It wasn't any wonder my bp reading were wayyy up there. Since going back to my former GP, the problem of nervousness doesn't exist any longer.

It could very well be that you don't need bp meds. Wearing a 24hr monitor is a good indicator. Good luck with this. Please let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Dear Clare,

It is not the tablets and side effects but the anxiety which is the problem.These tablets are effecting each and every one of us in a different way because our body mechanisms are so different to each other. That is why when the doctor prescribes a well known medicine, it works for one and not for the other.

I would recommend that you try to be your own doctor and monitor yourself over a couple of weeks as to what is working for you, adjust the right quantity and the time you take the tablet, relax and get on with your life.

best wishes & good luck 

E.O.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.