Too much fluid in brain ventricle

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi. I'm sorry this turned out so long. Im 29 years old and had a baby 8.5 months ago. During the final month of my pregnancy I started getting car sick. I put it down the the baby. 2 months after having her, this continued and over the last 8 months has become a blur of headaches, sickness, dizziness, confusion and poor memory. In the last 2 months in particular I've had migraines, ringing in my ears and if I turn my head slightly to the side (either direction) it's like I've spun around 20 times, I get so disorientated. If I stretch my legs or arms when I wake up I get a crushing headache/ head-rush.

To start with, around 6 months ago, my doctor told me it was vertigo and tried an epley manoeuvre which didn't work. Then he told me it would resolve itself. Fast forward to 6 weeks ago when I saw a new doctor because my symptoms worsened. He sent me for a CT scan which concluded I have excess fluid in one of the ventricles in my brain. The cause currently is unknown, they don't know if it's because my brain produces too much cerebral spinal fluid, if it's something I've had all my life or if there's a blockage in my brain causing the back log. I had an MRI on Tuesday and have to wait 3 weeks for the results. Mean while, my head is in over drive. No pun intended!

Has anyone experienced this? My main concerns are if I will need surgery either way? Because I'm still breastfeeding my daughter and she refuses bottles, so potentially staying in hospital after an operation is making me panic and I need to put something in place as soon as possible to help her with the transition.

Another question I have is in relation to how this could happen in the first place. I can't help but think that maybe the car sickness was just pregnancy. Because 2 days after having my daughter via csection, I developed an epidural migraine. Which is the result of the spinal needle piercing the water behind yourspine and leaking fluid, slowly dehydrating you and making your brain swell. I was taken to theatre to have blood drawn and injected in to the space behind my spinal to form a blood clot and block the hole. Could this cause a back log? Could the clot dislodge and travel up?

These may sound like ridiculous questions but I'm in overdrive lol sorry

Thanks in advance for any responses. Hope someone can help, shed light or even just listen

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi rhiannon, I will private message you in a day or two.  Please don't have fear/s re your situation, help is there.  I do know of a similar situtation to yours, only theirs was on a much larger scale to yours.  Please relax, you are in good hands and now your getting diagnostics and the treatments will improve matters greatly!....  Take care.

PS:  where about are you on the globe?  which country?  if you don't mind me asking...cheers.

I'm not home at present enough to answer in a 'message', but will do in the next day or two.   Cyber Hugs...

• Posted

Aww thank you! I'm in South Wales, UK. Look forward to hearing from you
    • Posted

Hi there, how are you... sorry for the delay, I'm not at home presently, just calling in to do what needs to be done...  

Re your issue, I have a family member with Stents in one main artery, and spinal tap to take off the fluid that comes about.

Their situation is quite a bit more extenstive, but the thing is, it is amazing what the body puts up with and how modern science is there to assist and take away the problem or minimalise the affects of the affliction.

My relative continues to study/work etc..   and with two teenagers and living with their condition for a number of years now and they are only in their 30's...

Their condition is a rarity and nothing is actually known as to what causes the condition.  In their case they have lost the other main artery in the brain and the other is deteriorating.  Hence surgery for Stents in the surviving Artery.  As to what is causing the fluid build up in the brain, they don't know either.  

Again as I mentioned, they are still studying and working!   Yes, we all take our hats off to the level of intregrity they have.

Please keep us informed as to how your future tests ect pan out  and how your keeping...    Chin UP...  as there is plenty of modern science etc out there for you once you have a diagnostic/causation identified.

Cyber HUGS...  take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.