Too optimistic?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am six weeks post op but still have swelling and heavy feeling in my hip. It makes walking difficult and l can only bend my knee a certain amount. GP and Physio don't seem concerned. I broke my hip in Paris whilst on holiday and spent 11 days in hospital there. As a result l think l missed out on exactly what l should expect. Help!

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Keep your feet elevated to help reduce the swelling. Do you have TED socks? They will also help. I also had my op after breaking my hip. 5 months on, I still have some pain and also a bit of heaviness in the op region, but am walking pretty well now. 
    • Posted

Thanks for that. I was never offered the TED socks, l don't know whether that was down to my circumstances or just local custom. How did you break your hip? I fell so l need to have a scan for Osteoporosis. How about you?
    • Posted

I also fell. I hit my other hip very sharply on the corner of my computer desk and kind of jumped back in pain. As I fell, I tried to grab my chair but it rolled away from me and I landed heavily on the wooden floorboards... didn't realise for four days I had actually broken it. I do have to have bone density tests some time. Haven't got around to it yet.

You should be able to buy TEDs at a pharmacy or online...

• Posted

I'd elevate, do lots of icing and plenty of time off of your feet, and it should get better if it is a normal recovery. How much activity are you doing? The swelling indicates that you may be doing too much. 
  • Posted

Lin

Sounds totally normal to me - I'm now 17 weeks post revision, and still getting the odd pain here and there, and I still take a stick with me on my commute into work.

Ice and elevation are your best friends where swelling in concerned.

See my website for other info, the address is in my personal info,

https://patient.info/forums/profiles/rocketman-sg6uk-907025

and the moderator's thread at

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/thr-useful-resources-487147

and the graphic below.

Graham - 🚀💃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.