Tooth abscess swelling

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I have an abscess, lower left big tooth (third I think).

So i had pain since 3 days and yesterday i wokeup with swelling around my jaw but no pain.

So i went to the dentist where i learnt that my tooth is infected and since i had filling on it so the doctor took out the filling so that the pus can come out. He gave me medicines for 5 days.

I just want to know when will the swelling go as i have major functions to attend in 3 days sad

Please help

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

A few months ago I had an abscess it was over a weekend and the emergency dentist was fully booked the whole left side of my face was badly swollen so on the Monday morning I went to my own dentist she did x ray to see which tooth was causing the problem then drilled all the filling out of the midle so the abscess could drain out and gave me antibiotics I had to go back 2 days later to have the tooth removed I had the swelling for about a week in all it did take time to go but my dentist said once the tooth was removed it would start to improve and it did 

Hope this is of some help Good Luck hope it improves soon

• Posted

Thankyou so much Elizabeth. I hope your doign well now. I am very scared of dentist and now i will definitely take care of my dental hygiene. Its a nightmare to visit a dentist.

Thankyou for your reply.

Swelling just made me pretty sad.

• Posted

You are lucky you are not in pain. The antibiotics should start working within 48 hours of taking them. Please make sure you take care of it. I have abscess in bottom right molar and it swelled and excruciatingly painful even after 10 days in cyclamacin. (A stronger antibiotic then amoxicillin used to treat tooth abscesses. ) you should be okay at your function , bring some Advil in case it starts paining you.
    • Posted

Thankyou so much Sarah. Today the pus came out with saliva which i feel is a good sign. Yes i hope i get better by the function.

I hope your tooth is fine.

Thankyou so much for the reply smile

• Posted

I am getting mine pulled out tommorow. My face is getting more swollen and my body is resistant to infection. This is the only way to get rid of infection.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.