topiramate and sex drive

Posted , 2 users are following.

My girlfriend has been on this medication for about 4 and a half months now. Only 25 mg but she hasn't been herself. She's become sort of lethargic and depressed not as active and before she was a very active motivated person. She forgets things and gets confused about things that literally just happened. Also her sex drive went from 100 to 0. My girlfriend has always had a very high sex drive. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this with this drug. I read stories of people having decreased sex drive on this medication, but they are usually on much higher doses. Don't get me wrong I'm so happy that the drug works for her migraines, but I miss my girlfriend. Its like she doesn't even see me as a sexual being anymore and it's breaking my heart. I'm being as supportive as I can be but sometimes I get so sad and frustrated because she just doesn't want me and I am still so sexually attracted to her. I'm just bottling all this up because I know how bad her migraines get, but surely there are other medications for migraines without these side effects. Can anyone give me any advice or just tell me that I'm not crazy. Can this drug really kill a person's motivation and desire like this? And what should I do ? Anytime I mention it she just breaks down and feels so inadequate and swears she's still attracted to me but the drive just isn't there. I just end up forgetting about how I feel and consoling her. But I have feelings too and it hurts to want to be intimate with the person I love more than anything just to be rejected every time.... Please tell me we're not the only ones having these issues with this drug? And if not...what do I do about it? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I was on Topiramate 25mg per day for just two months earlier this year and came off them because I couldn't stand the constant fatigue although they stopped my migraines almost immediately. I had been taking Propanalol for a couple of months before that and had the same intolerable tiredness and a feeling of not being 'with it' plus I was gaining weight rapidly. I'd hoped that the Topiramate would be different but unfortunately not - I was one of the few who gained weight on this drug instead of losing it and what with the constant tiredness and depression and aches and pains and, yes, also complete loss of libido, I decided to come off it. I dreaded the sudden return of the headaches, which had been daily before starting with Propanalol, so weaned myself off very slowly while researching what to try next as my migraines had changed this year to chronic as opposed to episodic - I have suffered with them for 55years! I decided to try a therapist who practices Chinese and assorted therapies from Cranio sacral massage to acupuncture and after listening to my long history, she prescribed the latter. I have had 4 of a course of 6 acupuncture sessions and am amazed to say that I am practically clear of migraines, just the occasional headache which responds to simple pain killers. I don't know yet how long this effect t will last but am so pleased to be off the meds as I have tried them all and always had bad side effects. I hope this helps and you and your girlfriend.

• Posted

Hmm... Accupuncture. I'll have to look into it. Never thought about it. Tried to talk to her about it tonight but it's so hard to talk about. She thinks I'm trying to make her feel bad, but I'm legitimately concerned for her health on these pills. As well as both of our sanity. I  am almost at my wits end, I'm frustrated all the time. I have to suck it all up and I feel like I'm going to blow and I don't meant to. I don't think she understands what it's doing to my mental state to have her never touch me or constantly reject me. And I don't think she fully understands everything else going on with her mental state since she started these pills either. I know her next appointment they're going to up her dose and I can't imagine it being worse than this. I feel so down and she feels so down. Its miserable. Honestly I've been researching alternative medications for months. All the side effects sound horrible, and after this drug I'm so afraid for her to be on another drug like this. I can't even have a conversation about this with her longer than 5 minutes without her completely falling apart or brushing it off. And I'm just trying to figure out what's going on and find a solution. She can't even hear it. I just want her to be happy and migraine free without all the side effects. I want my girlfriend back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.