Tore Achilles at heel 2 weeks ago

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dr operated 5/28/2015 says 4 weeks non weight bearing splint then boot to follow. Doesnt feel to bad but its hard to get around not using my left leg. I'm hoping I can walk in a boot at 6 weeks is this possible??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The four week non weight seems pretty standard, then another 4 partial weight, using crutches. After that you should be out of a boot/cast and be moving round but its a long slow climb to get back to fitness. I found my calf muscle is still weak and I was out in January.
  • Posted

Hi Jay 

I had Op on 22/5/15 I've just had stitches out and new cast for a further two week so 5 weeks total nwb 

Then 6/8 weeks in boot for me but mine was a re rupture 

Please don't rush take it one step at a time or you could be doing it all over again and believe me it's fare more frustrating second time round !!!

• Posted

As soon as was able to get onto partial weight bearing I started exercising gently with a bungee cord round the foot.. stretches and wiggles to make sure I kept mobility. (All with checking with the consultant first)... but definately don't try and rush it.. its a long and tedious path but you will get there
  • Posted

Hey folks I truly appreciate your input as it gives me some things to watch out for. The Dr said he would take my stitches out next week and by the looks of all those stitches it could be painful taking them out. Tearing my Achilles at the bottom of my heal seems to make it worse because its so low and right where it connected to the heel bone.
    • Posted

Stitches came out no problem at all for me 

Ive had fare worse ones out of head , ears and face 

• Posted

Hi Jay,

I am nearing the 6 weeks mark tomorrow. I have not put down any weight yet. I was told my next step was gradual weight abt 25% 50% 75% 100%. So i believe 8 weeks is more likely to be when I am fully walking.

If you have access to Amazon, I bought this device called iwalk. It looks like a pirate leg, but you strap your knee in and go, i even walk on the tredmill. Its pretty helpful.

Wish you the best in this long recovery

Erika

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.