torn tendon following hip replacement - what can be done?

Posted , 21 users are following.

i had a total hip replacement 11 months ago, due to osteo arthritis, but continued to have pain ( to a much lesser degree). Had a scan today and found that i have a tear/cut in my gluteal tendon around the hip joint , which explains the continuing pain. Havent seen the surgeon yet to discuss options, but has anyone else had this? Have you had tendon reattached? Or Have steriod injections been effective? And if so for how long? Do you need to repeat steriod injections? Are there other  options for a tendon tear? Cant seem to find much info online about tears post surgery, so would really apprecaite anyone else's experience of this. Thank you and  speedy simple recoveries  to all!

2 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nicola, does this tear mean that the doctor did while while in surgery, or is it something that happend through normal activity at home or through physio...it is such a shame to go into surgery thinking it will be the answer to your problems only to face another challenge~
    • Posted

the radiologist wouldnt say if it was a cut or a tear, guess ill never know. yes its so dissapointing, not the new lease of life i was hoping for!!
  • Posted

More steroids are NOT the answer as I know the steriod world....the best and worst drug. They can eventually tear down the bones/tendons more... You may get temporary relief and some don't....I had a little relief for my shoulder some time back but it wore off....I don't do them at all now....work to avoid steroids...

I don't know what else to say, maybe these heal on their own, don't know. See what your doc says and go from there.....

Did you do a search on tendon tears? That would be something I would do.

• Posted

thank you. ive managed to avoid steroids so far - am really not keen for the reasons you state. have done a search but keep finding strains not tears.  it wont heal, but dont know if i can face more surgery! need my other hip done too and have a 3 year old, so its all a bit challenging!
    • Posted

Steroids don't heal, they do more damage and could be, actually is a big reason for so many hip replacements....too many years of steroids for many other reasons too.

Are you taking quality bone health support: Magnesium, Vit D3 and K2 and some calcium....If you have a 3 yr old, you are young....

And if you are consuming fluoridated water, that "F" breaks down bones too....just thinkin as I do and throw out what I've learned in my long life.

We in the US are very big on supplements for a lot of prevention....

• Posted

Hi Nicola

Joy is right about the steroids.

My daughter in law suddenly had sore hips {about 12 years ago} after a short time she was in a wheel chair.

They discovered the reason.....She has a disease called sarcoidosis, its an auto immune disease and they put her on steroids for that but much too high a dose and her bones started to crumble. They stopped the steroids, she had an operation, and is now on a very low maintenance dose for the sarcoidosis and eventually she i s fine......but a very lucky girl.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

If 5 hat tendon is under your surgery scar then the damage is from that.   They cut your muscles and tendon to get to the bones and them repair them.  

They may have to go in and repair them, probably your best bet.  Especially if completely torn.

Tendons can heal if they are damaged but will cause problems as they become rigid, frayed and bumped up with scar tissue.

Massage is a good thing to help break downhard tissues and get them rebuilding. Best to go to a chiropractor or professional massage therapist. 

There's a Web site that has stretches for tendons.

I just searched fix iliopsoas tendonit is and it came up.

I think it is back-pain-answers dot com.

I gave tendon issues too but mine is the flexor muscle group.  Cant relax my leg while on my back in bed.  Sometimes I feel my tendon slide or pop over my cup at implant site.  I'm going back in for revision in a week or so.  They will readjust my implant and possibly the cup size so my tendon is not rubbing anymore.

Tendons are hooked to muscles and the pain 8 my thigh from the irritation is debilitating.   I can feel it all the way in my back because the iliopsoas is hooked to the spine.  

I did have the steroidal injection into the tendon.  12 hours of relief but mine was diagnostic to make sure that the tendon we thought was the problem WAS.

Best Wishes for your dr to really listen and want to help.😊

• Posted

On this tear issue, many are given the meniscus tear dx and go for the surgery, but these tears can heal....

My daughter had an meniscus tear and it healed...

Prolotherapy can also heal these tears but I don't know how much Prolo work is done in the UK....I know it's there but not govt paid care.

• Posted

Prolo has been around for about 100 yrs but thrown under the bus when the pharma industry came on like gangbusters in the 60's or so....

Prolo means Proliferate, growing tissue around the ligaments and tendons to strengthen the bones...

Originally there was Dextros which my rheumy does and more advanced Prolo now in the form of PRP, using our own platlets to grow tissues and even more advanced Stem Cells now....we have an MD here in Los Angeles who does all the advanced Prolo.....I've been thinking about PRP for my knee now for some time, money holds me back.....but I may break down yet.

I have a whole sepatate post here on Prolo may prevent replacements. I had dextrose in my shoulder over 4 yrs ago and got 3 years of relief....

I could use it again for my shoulder(s) but money holds me back or I have just learned to manage...

Where in CA, jilli. I'm in Santa Monica....we've had the most oppressive heat here in the 49 yrs I've been here... Climate change or What is going on?

• Posted

I just remembed my 51 yr old daughter has a foot with torn ligaments/tendons and she is doing all she can to avoid a big foot surgery.....so far so good and there are many type anti inflammatory SUPPLEMENTS one can try to keep the inflammation down....drug anti inflammatories can cause great problems....like stomach ulcers....

Also keep on an alkaline food intake, keeping body out of acidity state is important, more acid more inflammation.

This is a lot to consume, but chronic inflammation is killing many and changing diet can make a world of difference.....

Again, I don't know how a tendon near the hip area can be fixed....

She wears special arch shoes and orthotics for her feet but that is her feet issue....

A surgery on this foot would take probably a year recovery and then who knows how the outcome will be.

• Posted

Hi nicola,

So sorry to hear about your torn tendon. I had a crushed tendon a ways back. I was an athlete, working out was my life. I consulted with many physicians, all wanted to operate. Finally met a physician that told me operating on a tendon was like sewing a rubber band. His advice was to immobilize, followed by a steroid injection.

The prednisone injection worked out very well. After months my body healed.

Your situation sounds very painful. I definitely would go for the steriod injection. From what I was told, the injection can be repeated. It was a short term help, but not a solution.

I have had a number of hip replacement complications, not the fault of my surgeon. I have very bad bone integrity.

I have been following this discussion. What I have come to realize is that there are many things that can go wrong. You have a tendon issue that will take time to treat and heal. The important thing now is treating and healing. At some point you may discover what the cause is. At this time it is probably premature to place blame.

Its hard to suffer with this kind of pain. Try to determine your options and keep a strong focus on getting well.

It sounds like (based on what you describe) an issue that will eventually resolve.

• Posted

Hi Nicola

Before I had my THR I got 2 steriod injections into my hip and they lasted for about three months each time.  Was worth it while I waited for my op but I would not use then again.

Good luck to finding the casuse.

Cath

• Posted

thank you for your calming words. it is always difficult to know what to do for the best and i am not looking to apportion blame, we all make mistakes.  i hope my (second!)surgeon is able to offer me all solutions, and although we are all individual, i feel there is nothing quite like others personal experience to advise. ( ive no idea why im in italics?!) thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.