Total Thyroidectomy Nightmare

Posted , 2 users are following.

After a long battle of deciding to remove my thyroid I did it Feb 2020 so I'm fairly still new to this. I can honestly say this has been a complete nightmare these last 7 weeks!! My medicine was too high which sent me back to hyperthyroidism SEVERE, worst than I've ever experienced! I am still experiencing sore throats (is this even normal?) headaches, EXTREME ANXIETY, EXTREME PANIC ATTACKS, and this is NOT the right time for any of this because of this pandemic we're having! my medicine was 175 mcg but now it's 88 and I'm waiting to take this Monday to see if I can stabilize. Meanwhile I'm having digestive issues, I'm eating very little, my stomach is bloated, and I'm feeling hot & cold, fatigue and just plain not myself.. I was fine after my surgery and then it just went downhill very fast..

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi R, I know this is a frustrating time, not to mention being in the middle of a pandemic...it usually takes trial and error unfortunately to get your levels managed, it can take quite a while but, once they get it right, you should feel much better...the thyroid is an important organ and now that its gone you are trying to replace it with medication, it will take a huge amount of patience, all these symptoms should get better or leave, once you get to a maintenance level....you should have someone to talk to, even NEW friends, support groups(specifically for people in your position), or even a counsellor....you can try eating small amounts during the day, every few hours, it will keep gas from building up and can help with the nausea, if your blood sugar gets too low, you can feel really bad, weak, shaky, light headed, even if you drink your food, like protein shakes, smoothies, meal replacement drinks, it will help your energy, ask your Dr if a vitamin is helpful(you need to be sure nothing interferers with stabilizing your thyroid levels) Try to hang in there, keep busy and if you don't feel good, keep your mind busy, its okay to rest & take it easy until things are balanced out again, if the nausea keeps you from eating or drinking, you need to get that fixed, your Dr can advise on a nausea med you can take for now, you need to stay hydrated, water is best...I hope you get your meds at the right dose, its just a matter of time, I am sorry I cant be more helpful....Good Luck & Best Wishes๐Ÿ’’๐ŸŒˆ๐ŸŽ€โ˜ฎโ™พ๐Ÿ€๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŽถ

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.