Touching base

Posted , 6 users are following.

Morning Fibro Folk

Thought would give you an update on my experiment with diet and supplements and the odd hypnotherapy session and gentle exercise.  Well I have just completed a 7 days in a row work schedule and today although I am relieved to have a day off I managed to get up and out for a 9 a.m dental appointment.  Of course it may be that I am just going through a good patch but I haven't felt this well in decades.  Obviously it may not continue but for the time being I am going to stick with my regime and see where it takes me.  I really thought I would miss certain things cut from my diet but to be honest I haven't.    I won't say it is a wonder cure but pain is considerably reduced and weight loss has been a welcome bonus.

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

morning maggers good for you keep at it, good to hear your doing well thats great to hear, and a an added bonus for you to be feeling well. Im trying to eat as healthy as possible we mainly live on salads though i do love my sunday roastI  have 1 every other week. we can but try things and see what happens. take care gentle hugs 
  • Posted

Hi maggers I remember that good feeling when I was going to aqua aerobics twice a week and swimming I lost a bit of weight and also felt energised for a year...I have frozen shoulder in both shoulders at the moment...on the positive side I don't feel pain in my back or hip now on the negative side I have been told it can have this for up to 2 years...I'm waiting to see physio and hope it gets better much sooner as I can't wait to go back to swimming and aqua aerobics...I have chrons and over the last 5 years have become intolerant to spicy foods, many sauces, and soft cheese so my food has to be quite bland so I am experimenting with marinades I have been drinking 1 actimel a day to help with my digestion and energy i feel it helps me.

Shirl

• Posted

Good on you Shirl. Would love to try exercise in water but have allergy to the chlorine stuff they use.  It is up to all of us to self help as much as possible and find what works for us. I had physio for my shoulders - can't say it made much difference I feel it eventually got better on it's own but I may be wrong.  It is just one long game of trial and error. I just hope I feel as well as this for a long time to come.  Stress I find is a major factor for me - I try to avoid it at all costs.
    • Posted

Thanks Maggers and sorry to hear you have an allergy to chlorine...Im 58 years young and I find aqua aerobics to be the best form of light exercise for me the swimming baths are within walking distance I love 70 s music when they play it reminds me of my disco dancing days lol it gives me the feel good factor and helps me forget about the pain for an hour...defo stress free is best for us also repetitive strain from using a computer too much is a common problem for fibro sufferers

gentle hugs

• Posted

I have just been doing some googling and apparently Macadammia nuts are surpose to be really good for us. So Im going to give them a try take care smile
  • Posted

Good news keep us updated after you have been on your new diet for a month or so wuld you.  Also what is the diet you following?  Hope you continue to feel better x
    • Posted

Thanks everyone. Kathleen I have been on this particular "diet"since February. It is not a diet as the word diet implies temporary this is a total change in lifestyle.  I have excluded all refined sugar and gluten and more recently caffeine. Sounds awful but can say it has not bothered me in the slighest unless I get the aroma of freshly baked bread!   The secret has been to ask myself if I am actually hungry if not I do not eat whatever I was thinking about eating.  I eat only when hungry so always carry snacks of fruit or nuts around with me. The object is to eat until you feel full not stuffed.   Difficult if you have to manage family mealtimes but there is only my other half and myself so not too bad.   I never eat anything processed anymore so it is a case of cook from scratch (thank goodness for the slow cooker and freezer). Life can be difficult if you ever go out to a restaurant but options can usually be found somewhere on the menu even if it means the veggie option.   The supplements have also had their place.  Be interesting to see what the consultant says when I see her in September.  As I said before I still have pain and today the hands are suffering but generally much better. Even the dentist doesn't want to see me until May next year - he even said have a nice Christmas when I left! another nice bonus as usually my teeth need something or other doing.  Take care.
  • Posted

Please share more with me. You were able to work (on your feet) for a n entire shift. I need to be able to do this in the classroom with special needs students 5 days aweek for 6-7 hours. I too have lost some weight , but that is becaue the meds I am on makes you loose your appetite or the desire to eat. After I force the first bite I can eat, but then my stomach lets me know quickly if it is going to accept the food.
    • Posted

Yes I am on my feet for the entire shift with the occasional 2 min rest doing something that requires me to sit down. I cannot sit or lay down for any length of time otherwise I seize up so it is better for me to be upright.

I use epsom salts in my bath, or recently have been spoilt and been given rose scented Dead Sea salt which has been lovely to soak in.

I take L Carnitine,CoQ10,Tocotrienols,B12 and VitD3.No drugs as I get awful side effects from any of the medicines tried. If it gets bad which it hasn't for a considerable time I will relent and use codeine if the usual relaxation tapes, baths, heat/cold pads fail.  Positive mental attitude helps too.  Hope you find what works for you.

• Posted

You definitely a great influence for me to follow. I will add your regimen to my list.
    • Posted

Hope it works for you but remember fibro is unique in each of us and what works for one will not necessarily work for another but at least give it a go and that way you will know one way or the other.  The supplements were recommended to me by someone who pays privately for help with her fibro and she manages to hold down a very responsible fulltime position. Of course she has good and bad days as we all do but being able to maintain employment and mobility is my sole aim at the moment.
  • Posted

Well done Maggers. It definitely a good feel factor when things go right. You will have the right attitude if you stick to it, and deal with a day at a time. 

Thanks for sharing wink x

• Posted

Congratulations Maggers, it sounds like a win win situation for you, relief from symptoms and an overall more healthy body. I am trying a similar diet with mixed success, however going away recently certainly complicated matters, never mind I had a great time. I always keep in mind we are all different but eating such a healthy diet has got to be good for most of us.

Meg

​ 🌺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.