Trampolining After Knee Replacement

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I am 48 and had my knee replacement just over 2 years ago. Chatting with my sister last night and she mentioned going to Flip Up for exercise classes. Completely forgetting about my new knee I said yes! Then it dawned on me this morning this may not be a good thing.

We will most probably spend most of the class giggling but I am now worried that this maybe not a good thing. Could it loosen the implant and shorten the life of my knee? I had a really bad time when I had my knee done and at times I regretted having it done but now I am so glad I did as my quality of life is so much better. I know I will most probably need to have it done again as being young for my first one. But really don't want to have it done again so soon if can be helped due to wear and tear. Looking after my knee is priority :-)

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tengis

Im 42 and i had my knee replaced 4 weeks ago . As you say we are young to have them done so looking after them so that they last as long as possible is paramount ( given that the surgery is horrendous ).

I would definately advise against it as you probably have at least a good 10-15 years left in it so not worth jeopardising that

• Posted

Thank you Sarah, I think you just confirmed for me what I was really thinking cheesygrin

As you say the surgery was horrendous, something I don't think I was really prepared for! They make it all sound so routine when discussing it beforehand. 

• Posted

Yes, i agree . . better to treat this new knee as if it were made of glass!  I want mine to last me for as long as I need a knee, and at 72 I may be lucky, but you are young, and want to make it last as long as possible, so anything which has impact invlved is best avoided as much as possible, whle still enjoying other forms of exercise like  swimming, cycling, hiking etc. . . Annoying, I know. . but I've definitely decided no more horseriding or skiing ;-(  which at 72 is really not such a bad thing!

• Posted

Like you I want mine to last as long as it can, so really need to look after it properly. Gentle exercise seems the way to go biggrin

x

• Posted

Hi Tengis,

Take heed of what others have said! High impact sports must be avoided! The strain on your new joint & all the muscles, tendon & ligaments is far too great!

I know at 48 you want to do these things as they look such fun, but beware! You want your knee to last as long as possible.

Sometimes life seems most unfair!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do in place of Flip Up......competition shove ha'penny anyone??

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Hi Marilyn

I will be giving it a miss I think. I now have a bicycle so once the weather gets better some nice gentle bike rides for me :-)

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.