Trazodone Taper and Cold/Cough Symptoms

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all. I am trying to taper off trazodone, and have come from 100mg a day to 25mg. I feel pretty bad with nausea, insomnia and anxiety, but I am also finding every time I reduce my dose I get a runny nose, post nasal drip and dry cough. Has anyone else experienced symptoms like these coming off trazodone? I have health anxiety and it is worrying me that it is not the withdrawal but something else. I have been tapering for about six weeks. I would really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amanda, I stopped trazodone after using it for 4 weeks, I was on 50mg and the doctor said to just stop it rather than tapering it.

The symptoms of nausea, reduced sleep and panic/anxiety I am experiencing and this had been for 4 weeks now, I dont have any cold like symptoms however. I use 25mg of promethazine hydrochloride to help sleep which you can buy over the counter here in the UK.

• Posted

It is incredible how these doctors seem to think these drugs are as easy to stop as Smarties, isn't it? Thanks for the tip on the sleep aid. I will look into that. I really hope your symptoms start abating soon and that you will be over the worse. Thanks for the reply, and good luck!

• Posted

You're welcome Amanda, I wish you a quick withdrawal too!! Give me a message if you need some help or support as its not easy to get off.

• Posted

Thanks, Nicholas. I'm down to 6mg and two days to go before I stop altogether! Think it will get me good and proper then. You take these things when you are desperate, then wish you never went any where near them. Thing is, I've got propanalol and then diazapam to quit next. That's going to be fun too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.