Treatment for Varicose Veins

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have an appointment to be assessed for treatment for varicose veins on my right leg. Bit worried as I am imagining that there won't be an easy option for me as one vein is quite bad. Anyone out there who has had treatment can tell me what to expect? I have read what treatment is available and obviously have to be assessed. But if the vein has to be stripped I wonder what to expect after and how long recovery is. Thanks in advance.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You need to know what type of procedure you are having as there are different ones. I had radio frequency ablation for the main vein plus some sclerotherapy to get rid of the niggly veins. I was told the laser version could cause burning so opted for the radio therapy version. You can also have the older version of vein stripping which requires anaesthetic. Stripping does have a longer recovery, you will need to take it easy for about a week or so. In my case it took about twenty minutes and I walked out with no problems. My leg was bandaged up. A friend gave me a lift, but I reckon I could have driven myself. I was able to swim a few days later.

• Posted

thank you so much for your feedback. Hoping when I am assessed I can have something other than stripping but your experience sounds ok. Going fir scan tomorrow.

• Posted

I think the more techniques are being offered nowadays. Good luck for tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.