TRENDELENBURG GAIT after THR.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Six months post op Left THR. Finding it very difficult to walk without a stick. Been told by my consultant to lose the stick, which I have done for two days, but waddle like a duck. I am told that it will get better over time. Anyone out there had this and recovered fully? Thanks Ray.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Im only 3 weeks post op on Monday so cant say. Where you using a stick before thr?
  • Posted

Hello! I, like you, was posting (but in the Hip Replacement Forum https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/hip-replacement-1109) at 6 months post-THR with a trendelenburg gait/severe limp that I had had since the surgery. I also still had pain in the buttock/hip/thigh on the surgical side. I am now 9 months out and was recently diagnosed by a new orthopedic surgeon with a torn gluteus medius tendon, which is one of the muscles that is responsible for holding the hip steady during walking.

It is my understanding that if the problem is a soft tissue injury, and that injury is mild enough, then it may heal over time by itself. If it is severe enough that surgery is required to repair, then it will never heal on its own, like mine. I will be having surgery soon for the tendon repair, and exploratory at the same time to see if anything else is wrong. Two surgeons will be working on me! My original surgeon didn't have a clue that this kind of injury was possible, even when I suggested to him that I probably had a gluteus medius or minimus tear. He had never heard of surgery for repair either. So I had to go for a second opinion.

Diagnosis of these hip muscle tears seems to be difficult for some orthopedists, I don't know why. They should know their anatomy, and they should be able to read MRI or ultrasound scans. I had metal reduction MRIs with the original and new surgeons. Both radiologists and the original surgeon missed the torn tendon when reading the scans. My new surgeon did not miss it though, since he does gluteal tendon repair surgery in addition to joint replacement, and he knew what to look for.

At six months out, when it was obvious that my limping and pain were getting no better, even after 22 sessions of out-patient physical therapy, I demanded further testing. The original surgeon and a physiatrist that he referred me to, wanted to see whether or not it was problems with my spine or nerve damage that was causing the problems, and ordered an MRI of spine, and there was no problem there. Then came the first MRI when my OS said it might be a very mild strain of the gluteus medius, and that I should do more PT and take oral steroids. At this point, I went for the second opinion, where I got a swift, correct diagnosis.

You might want to also post on the hip replacement forum  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/hip-replacement-1109, where you might get more responses. A number of people have this problem. I got steered in the right direction myself when a member responded to my original post there about her experience with a gluteal tendon injury.

Best of luck in getting your problem diagnosed and treated. Simply telling you to walk without aids isn't the answer, or at least it wasn't for me. Not using the aids just injures me more and doesn't correct a problem that needs surgery for repair.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.