Trigeminal neuralgia?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I'm in my early 40s and have had bad sinus problems especially over the last 5 months. Some symptoms have eased but since June with my blocked nose (and swellings in nostrils) I've developed constant gum pain in the upper mouth, a pressure type feeling in my upper pallet, pains in my left nostril upper, and jaw ache. The pain is usually dull but when I lye down at night I get the feeling my teeth are being pulled out. I don't get any pain (just a numb feeling) when I press my cheek or rub it but I did a test by resting the left side of my head in my hand (using my arm as a stand) . I did get some feeling from just above my ear to my gums. Is it TN? Is it just an inflamed maxillary nerve? I also have small white swellings on either side of my upper back gums. What is it ?

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have you been to the dentist to check that the white swellings are not access or wisdom teeth that are causing problems and have you had xrays on the problem areas.
    • Posted

No I I haven't yet but that's my next step. 3 of my wisdom teeth are through but the one (upper left) is only partially through. The reason I didn't go the dentist before is because of swellings either side and my teeth are not sensitive to hot or cold food, drinks etc.
  • Posted

Hi I would make sure you get a good referral (to a teaching hospital if you can). There are lots of things that can mimic tooth/jaw pain. I was 'diagnosed' with both atypical odontalgia and TN but mine is a rare neurological problem. Be warned some dentists are good at giving antibiotics and guessing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.