trigeminal neuralgia

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello to anyone reading .. i am writing this to ask for help iv recently been diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia.. and i honestly don't no what to make of it.. i'm on one hand seriously worried there could be an under lined issue but then i'm thinking well it could just be exactly what it is... it all started with me thinking i have wisdom tooth pains then my face went numb on the left side (where the pain was) i managed to see a dentist who did an x-ray and said yes the tooth is growing funny but shouldn't be causing this pain and numbness,, he come to say he thinks i am clenching and grinding my teeth in the night.. made me a guard and sent me on my way.. mean while the pain was unbearable.. i got to see a doctor who told me this was the issue and put me on medication.. i'm on 3 a day of carbamazepine.. when the nurse called to ask how i was getting on i said yeah much better but still having to take painkillers regularly... she's suggested i be referred to neurology,,, i recently had an MRI scan due to other issues but she said they will need to do a more in depth one,... i suggest my question is has any one been thought his and what was the outcome?? does it ever go away? did they try something the doctors didn't suggest and it worked??

this is more like an essay now but thank you so much if you get to the bottom 😃

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi, sorry I don't have any answers for you as I am newly diagnosed. But I do have the same questions. I had never heard of this before. When I tried to ask my doctor about the condition she said she would send me some links by text. one of the links sent me here to this forum. And one gave me some rather scary information about possible tumours or MS. I am going to look into acupuncture as my doctor really didn't have any information for me besides providing me with more drugs. I am willing to try anything to prevent this pain. I too went to dentist thinking it was a dental issue and it wasn't. good luck and I hope you get some answers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.