trigeminal neuralgia and gabapentin

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been having trigeminal neuralgia to left side face for approx 2+ yrs even blamed a wisdom tooth and had it removed but no relief.Used to get episodes which lasted 2-3day which I managed on co codamol which didn't really work but episodes lasted only 3day max, pain used to develop n swallowing sometimes it felt like I'd swallowed something sharp it would shoot into my ear and jaw behind and above my eye on same side of head.Long story short I started with episode on 12th Dec and it didn't fully go but developed into both sides of face resulting in constant burning in front of both ears and became unmanageable I sought gp help when I had altered facial sensation a bit like when dental anaesthetics wearing off, other symptoms I've had are isolated skin areas in different areas of body where upon skin feels hypersensitive like sunburn.Im now on long term nasal spray avamys gor allergic rhinitis and just finished oral antibiotics for sinusitis with no ease to cheek pressure and throbbing cold weather effects my face a lot .Anyways I've been on gabapentin for 6 weeks as opposed to carbamazapine as less side effects the gabapentin has never fully removed pain and or these odd facial sensation and pressure I even trialled sudafed no effect the thing is I don't like side effects from gabapentin they give me brain fog low mood anxiety poor concentration and now insomnia they never made me drowsy.My gp keeps telling me to increase it I was on 400mg 3xaday and last week had a really bad attack which left me unwell and dazed for 4 days so I increased dose to 600mg and started to notice dizziness stomach pains and worsening low mood and insomnia I really feel the gabapentin are to blame so I've stopped them all together and haven't had any for 48nrs so far I've only felt cold and felt hot and cold on night in bed and of course no sleep as for pains just twinges and same odd facial sensation and pressure.As I've only had these side effects so far is it safe to say that this is possibly the worst, I haven't shared this with my gp as I don't want the low mood on my record but I know I didn't feel like this before tablets I also worry the pains might come back and best way to treat this if they did .

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi vicky, Stick one co-codamol under tongue swallow tother then if no relief then do a tramadol. works for me. a twenty yrs recurrent sufferer. try interim by a bag of frozen peas moving it about on sore side . sme peeps use hot water bottle . good luck.
    • Posted

This might sound crazy but last night I started with a really distinct sharp pain in my left shoulder blade I've had this pain before and it always accompanies head pains and neuralgia pain in my face with sharp pain in me left eye, could this be the gabapentin wearing off do you think or a side effect
    • Posted

vicky  sad can`t help on that sad problem. never taken gabapentin   maybe heat patches from deep heat or the ointment. will know more after midday as my mate has twinges and is checking out BootsSuperdrug later. when is ur next Dr app ? I use Algesal[prescription]  or Deep heat spray,but like all problems peeps are different. I have tried acti patch but very pricey, but i`ve got COPD as well as CANCER.  tramadol, after you see ur doc after co-codamol is very strong opiate. carbamazapine didn`t help too well with my TN in March, but i cleared it in three months. Have a shower or bath as i don`t know how long to ur next doc session.  Boots/ superdrug may help more than I . good luck. plz remember i`m 66, UK Master builder [rtd] I mean ur hubby could give you gentle massage with baby oil after ur bath ..... i mean my 1st TN was 20 yrs ago. will get back to you later, mikey

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.