Trimalleolar Fracture

Posted , 2 users are following.

I broke my ankle and had operation 2 weeks later due to swelling and blisters around the ankle. I know it is going to be a long road to recovery. I can't weight bare at present. My anxiety is that my ankle feels like I have a vice around it, I can't put my foot flat on the ground because it feels restricted by the plate in the back of my heel. Does anyone know if this is normal. I'm worried that I'll never be able to walk normally again. I haven't got to the stage of physio yet.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'd ask your doctor, but in my case (also trimalleoral fracture and I had ORIF with screws and a plaque) I used a caste for the first 5 weeks. Once I starting massaging my foot after being allowed to be partial weight bearing, the swelling went down and mobility slowly came back.

Take it easy and, if you want to motivate yourself, I took videos of my first days of mobility exercises and every day I saw a bit more movement. I'm on week 10 and mobility is almost back to normal, but ankle stuff are a long journey, communicate with your doc and PT when you get to that 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.