Trimethoprim - anxiety ??

Posted , 10 users are following.

I suffered from anxiety as a side effect of a post natal thyroid condition - my child is now 18 months old. I was treated with Citalopram and my thyroid condition was treated successfully. After weaning sensibly off Citalopram before Christmas I was feeling fine but still not 100%. I was given Trimethoprim for a suspected UTI infection last week and the next day I suffered a full on anxiety attack whilst at the shops. I seemed to get more anxious by the day, and my physical symptoms got worse - raging thirst, swollen and white furry tongue, aching limbs but numbness all down my right leg, numb fingers, clumsiness, tearful and felt slow mentally - my speech even became affected. The lower back ache that prompted the urine test got more persistant and I now have a pain in my left hip socket. I thought I was suffering from MS which only heightened my anxiety. I didn't really connect it with the anitbiotics. I then looked on this website and saw a LOT of negative comments regarding this drug. I stopped on day 5 and went to the doctor yesterday feeling very tearful. I was then given 20mg Citalopram and some pain killers and was told it was probably a trapped nerve and not down to the antibiotics. The worse thing was that my urine sample had been normal so needn't have taken it in the first place!! I took one Citalopram yesterday and was completely spaced out and felt sick. Luckily my husband took a day off work but I can't function like that as a full time mum to a toddler. What I would like to know is has anyone had an experience like this and should I wait a few days to see if I feel better wihout the Citalopram, in the hope that the anxiety was caused by the Trimethoprim. Ideally I don't want to start Citalopram only to go through withdrawal etc. We also want to add to our family at some point so ideally want to be drug free. Am considering a more herbal approach if the anxiety presents itself again like St Johns Wort

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Wierd I had almost exactly the same thing. Thought I had a UTI for 2 weeks but testing negative, got a bit panicked as has happened before. Finally had urine sent off said it was entercoccus or something, was not very convinced as pain seemed to come and go. Took Trimethroprim as that's what i had and feel much , much worse. weakness, tremors, pins and needles. Needless to say convinced myself i have MS even though had brain scan only 18 months Ok which is apparently beautifully clear . Now don't know if it is all anxiety. had anxiety before but really had a grip on it. Got raging thirst, nausea, trembling hands, burning pain down neck. Are you feeling better?

They thought I had diabetes but got results yesterday and now not sure.!

• Posted

I have also experience with anxiety on Trimethoprim. I went down with cystitus at the week-end and managed to get some tablets from the out of hours doctor. I also take a small dose of Citalopram and had been feeling so good and now my anxiety has come back the last couple of days! I remember taking Thrimethoprim about 18months ago and it happened exactly the same. Last time I had to up my dose of Citalopram but this time I am trying to just 'go with it' Not much fun though.
  • Posted

I'm so glad i found these posts, and i'm not the only one going through this. I had cystits and was given Trimethoprim, i've been on citolopram for about 10 years now, and have recently reduced my dosage. The day after i started the Timethoprim I started to feel anxious again, i coulnt believe it, i'd been doing so well and all of a sudden it just started again. I wanted to clear the cystitis so have continued to take the Trimethoprim, and finished them yesterday. Does anyone know how long it takes before the Trimethoprim is out of your system? I've had to take time off work as i've just been feeling too anxious, shaking, scared of going out etc. I just want to get back to normal now.
  • Posted

As a more natural approach I would recommend Yoga exercises. They will help with the back and joint pains and the meditative aspect will help control anxiety.

Best of luck

• Posted

I too was diagnosed with a uti, and given trimethroprim for 7 days. After going through muscle weakness, not being able to eat (I've lost 2 stones), really bad anxiety, aches an pains all over, nausea, you name it, I've had it - went back to the GP who said it was just the UTI causing the symptoms, ended up at the emergency doctors and even a&e, and all doctors said there was nothing wrong with me! I took myself off the antibiotics after 5.5 days, and went back to the GP, who said its very rare to have such an adverse reaction to trimethroprim! Afterleaving it for 2 weeks, I went back to re GP again, as my anxiety wasn't going (never suffered from anxiety before). 3 weeks on, and I've now been given pills (sertraline) for my anxiety! I still have diorrhea, and am still not sleeping well, and not able to eat much at all! No energy, and am thoroughly fed up! I'm desperate to know how long these effeffects last! Has anyone come out the other side yet?
    • Posted

Hello suzanna I am going to through the same thing. Can you please tell me how much it lasted for you. I had 200mg for 3days. And I have been off for 10days but still feeling same. Have had neasuea and vomit since yesterday. Would appreciate a reply.
    • Posted

Suzanna, did you recover?  I am going through the anxiety effects from trimethroprim and am wondering how long it lasts!  It is terrible.
  • Posted

It was so relieving to find this forum! I only started Trimethoprim yesterday for a kidney infection and after experiencing some muscle tenderness and body aches (I thought i was coming down with a flu!) some hours after taking my first dose of the day, I became very nauseaous from the early evening into the night. After I got into bed, a couple of hours after taking my second dose, the nausea progressively got worse over the course of an hour or so and I began panicking over a tightness in my chest, following which I had a minor panic attack, keeping me up until 2am! This morning I was feeling very low and upset, weak and shaky and I still have the pain in my chest. I don't have a history of suffering with anxiety of this nature. I did eat but the prospect of food wasn't all that appealling to me and It felt a little forced. I also woke up very early this morning (considering i was up so late) and despite still being sleepy there was no way that I could go back to sleep. Booked an appoinment early today and I can't wait to get this stuff out of my system!
  • Posted

I'm so glad that other people have spoken about their experiences with trimethoprim. I resisted taking antibiotics for cystitis but wanted to get it out of my system by Christmas. After 3 doses it doesn't appear to have made any difference. The worst thing was that last night and this morning I got overtaken by negativity and was an utter misery this morning, feeling massively worried out of nowhere. In the afternoon I literally flt something lift and wondered whether it was something to do with the dose wearing off as I was due another one. Now I know that it might just be an artefact of the antibiotics I'll try super hard to resist the low.
    • Posted

Hello neia, how are you feeling now x hope uou have recovered from the awful feeling . I hope it diesnt last too long for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.