trimethoprim lasting side effects ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

has anybody suffered these off trimethoprim ?

tachycardi-5 hours was longest episode 

body feeling like jelly

severe anxiety 

breathing sensations (ect like suffocation /humid air feeling )

muscle twitching

nausea that comes and goes 

has anybody got any lasting side effects 

i stoppped taking these 3 months ago 24th of october i think  and i feel miles better but my symtoms started on these tablets and have stayed to a degree. .

i had anxiety before i took them but not as bad as when i was on them i went like crazy and had the most awful panic attacks . i also get bad anxiety of metrodozole aswell i new this and thats why my doctor gave me these instead but for the time been it seems they may have ruined my life the infection i was given them for and i was give a high dose was then found to not even have a infection so i took them for no reason .

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am sorry that you are still having problems after taking Trimethoprim, I was given it for a non-existent infection as well and had a horrid reaction with my feet going from an itch to blisters then skinning in a couple of weeks. Luckily, I don't seem to have any lasting side effects, but maybe you should explain your anxiety to your doctor?
    • Posted

Hi Bronwen, how long did it take for you to fully recover. I've had a similar reaction after taking one tablet. I must be allergic, I've never taken Trimethoprim before. Embarassingly it's progressed from little red marks to blisters that have weaped and are now forming scabs. These are on my lips around my belly button, genitals and ankles. I've never had anything like this before, quite worried. I shouldn't have gone to my doctors either as what I suspected was a UTI was on it's way out (there was a 12 day gap from calling GP to getting appointment). sad
  • Posted

I was on trimethoprim for many many years (taken for cystitis)  and I had no side effects. However recently I have been taken off them as they have been suspected of raising my potassium levels.

HOWEVER, my mother was given them again for a urine infection and she had a severe reaction to them, erupting into red itchy spots everywhere.

• Posted

hi thanks for your response sorry tohear about your reaction i suppose they happen when they are been taken for no reason .

i have been to doctors about anxiety the hospital and doctors said these tablets rarely cause side effects so nobody thinks its linked but i was on a good path before i took them so i belive they caused all of this mess and somehow have damaged me although i dont know that for sure but its just my belief thanks again 

• Posted

Hi It took about 6 weeks before the skin grew back properly on my feet, and then several weeks of skinning on top of the new shiny pink skin - yuck!  The people that this drug effects all seem to have big problems, whilst others have absolutely none.  I have put it on my list of Things Not To Take Again!  Good luck with your recovery.
  • Posted

Hello stephx its been 10days I havebeen off them. I took 6 tablets for 3days. And I am not recovering from my stomach or anxiety. How do you feel now? X
    • Posted

Hey hun not too good to be honest battling depression and anxiety still ! Breathing problems still there not as bad as it was did you have anxiety before you took them ? Xx
    • Posted

Not really. I have never felt like this. I keep telling myself I need to stop this and blame it on thw pills and hopefully will be okay. Did you have stomach issues aswell? Did they resolve?
    • Posted

Is your anxiety on the same level or getting better do you think? X
    • Posted

Depends it's got better but it's still very high and I'm still in what I call nightmare stage funny you say this because I keep having bouts of nausea and weird aches more in higher stomach since this will come on every now and again though im suffering now with it
    • Posted

What a mess. I hope we gwt better. How bad was your anxiety before you took these would you say? And are you on any medication for it? X I try keep myself happy. But its hard.
    • Posted

It was bad but cope able I was able to do daily things ect and more worry came on the nights after taking them it's all day I locked myself away in the house for 2 months and also had stays in hospital ect so it got really bad I tried medication and it made me worse and I got hives so it dint help cbt helped me for about 2 sessions then it stopped helping
    • Posted

I guess I will just have to pull myself through and not let it get all over me. I have supporting family and I can always talk to people about it. I am going to avoid medication and hoepfully in a months or so when the other symptoms fade this will go oit of my mind too. I just keep getting this fear of getting all kind of illnesses and dying.
    • Posted

Same fears hun ! Yep it's all you can do whether the tablets caused it or not it's funny a lot of people u have talked to have got anxiety from them metronidazole did the same to me a couple of years ago I have now told my doctor I'm sensitive to them and can not take them .
  • Posted

Hi Stephx,

I stopped taking a 10 day x 2 pills/day of Sulfamethoxa 800mg/ TMP 160mg (Septra DS/Bactrim DS)

While on the medication, on the second day there was massive fluid retention in the back of the neck area and very light headaches.  Also, my lower back pain which is usually mild pain, felt much worse.

Around Day 7, oddly my vision started to get better than it had been in the past, which was odd as I supposedly has no bacterial infection in the eyes or head.

After stopping on day 10, I experienced something tonight simlare to yourself.  About 24 hours after stopping the last pill, tonight I feel odd while breathing and almost a heaviness to breathing which feels in the center of the chest or near the heart and I hope it did not mess up my heart muscle too much.  I wonder if that is why there is a warning for asmatics not to take the antibiotic?     

Addiionally, my throat became lightly irritated after stopping as well.  I can see how this would cause a panic attack or heart rate to rise when you feel like you are not taking a normal breath. 

One slalvation may be a CPAP machine, for people with sleep issues, that can assist in postive pressure while sleeping into the lungs.  I do hope this side effect is temporary and I will work on getting good bacteria in the body (probiotcs) and more exercise. 

Thanks for sharing.

• Posted

Unfortunately I am any better I stopped having heart palpation but I had muscle spasms around the same time and they are still woth me to this day I have horrible deep finger hand leg and feet pain that sends shivers all over its so bad but most of all I started having palps /flutters like I could feel my heart pumping blood this all started again 2 weeks ago and today I am sat here I have had a echo and ecg ect after taking the tablets which all showed normal so I don't know if it was anything to do with the tablets I took them October 2014 it's now end of march with the symtoms still so if it was the tablets I think it would of cleared by now unless they have actually done damage somewhere I never knew they was a warning for ashmatics !! I was taking my inhaler while on the tablets
    • Posted

Hello steph

I had the same heart palpation muscle spasms and even developed acid reflux which is calm 95%. I had pain in my bones and back pain. Forced my doctor to check my vitamins and my vid D was only 15. So started supplementing with vitamin d. Magnesium( that sorted out my muscle spasms and twitching plus the heart palpations) vit k2 only twice every week and a oral spray of b12 as I haste taking pills. My anxiety has eased off so much. Deffiency in vitamins cuses many problems including anxiety. So look into it. And hope you feel better x

• Posted

Thankyou I keep thinking it's a vitamin thing my doctors are crap for appointments been in papers and everything I was told I was getting test about 3 weeks ago im still waiting does this cause deep pains in hands and legs and skin turning blue/purple and nails because this I something else I get I keep thinking it's anemia but they say they was good 3 months ago so won't test again xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.