TRK 5months

Posted , 8 users are following.

So I have done the streaching faithfully for almost five months. I have been on two long trips in Dec foe 20 day and Jan for20 days so I didn't go to my last three sessions of Theropy. I do stairs, stationary bike and walking with no problems unless I go to far and if I do I pay with pain and a hard nights sleep. This last four days I only got the streaching in once a day and the leg has felt so much better so I just keep thinking once a day would be good at this point. I just get so tired of the pain that comes with streaching. I also have not gone back to Therpy to see what my numbers for straight and bend are, but how important is that? So ready to start playing pickleball again which they said if I'm careful I could start in January so want to start slow but scared something will happen.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

What stretching exercises do you do? I am post op 10 weeks on one knee and 15 on the other. I have pain too if I overdo but supposedly I am doing well. Maybe the right exerciseswoud help although I do the stationary bike and walking. Sounds to me like you are really doing great.

Maila

• Posted

I wear 2lb weights and put my butt up as close to any flat spot on a wall put both legs up then push the new knee down with the other knee tell it hurts so I stop and hold for 40-50 seconds then release for five seconds for a total of five minutes. I also with weights lay at the end of the bed arms over the end knee pulled up with strap and then pull the strap as tight as I can stand for 50-60 seconds also for five minutes. I also sit on a chair an push the new knee back as far as it will go with the other knee also 50-60 sec for five minutes. I lay with my legs hanging off the end of the bed on my stomach for five minutes then pull it up as hard as I can with the strap and do it again for five more minutes. I also sit with the strap and pull the knee to my chest but don't time that as much, just holding that for awhile than release 3-5 times. I also have several exercises. I was doing these both twice a day but think I may go to once a day. It just has felt so much better these last few days when I just did it once.
  • Posted

That does sound like a lot Shirley. Those are some pretty heavy duty stretches. My PT would never expect me to do all of that twice a day.
  • Posted

The numbers are important with straight being the most. If you aren't straight you could have the tendency to limp and of course a limp is a gateway t o damaging hips, back and messing with the spine in general. Just keep giving a few minutes a day to working on it. The other thung, you can go backwards and it will get worse which could result in an early revision.
  • Posted

Never played picketball so can't really advise I am afraid.

However if they said you could start slowly then that would be OK.

Just be careful about twisting the knee.

Are you still under the consultant or are you completely discharged now?

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Dont worry about numbers, think about what you can and cannot do.  The main thing is to strengthen your muscles (the main one being your quads).  If you are still experiencing pain the last thing you need is to play pickleball.  All that twisting, bending, sudden stops, all high impact.  You had your knee replaced 5 months ago.  You need to give yourself a good year before thinking about playing a sport like that.  You might be healing well, but you still have a long way to go.  By the sounds of things patience is going to be your worst enemy.  Slow down, don’t be in a rush and you will find yourself in a much better place
  • Posted

Ok oldfatguy1 you got me, how do you go backwards???and how many months should you keep streaching so you don't go backwards? I  look forward to the day I can get up and know I don't have to have the pain of streaching? I have felt better cutting back to once a day and I sleep better, less pain when I roll over.

what does an early revision mean?

thanks so much for all your wonderful comments..

• Posted

Soft tissue atrophes when it isnt used. Athletes always have to go through several weeks of conditioning drills before the season starts because the haven't been using the muscle or family of soft tissue for several months since the previous seasons' end. Same thing happens after all of the effort is expended to get in shape has stopped. Muscles tighten, ligaments lose elasticity etc. Its difficult to stay in peak performance shape continually
    • Posted

You don't have to work at it around the clock but sometime during the day and for half an hour or less. My wife is in advanced stages of Parkinson's disease which of course among other things causes the entire body to tighten changing the walk and most body movement. Research has found the best possible help the body can receive is 25 mins of excercise a day. It doesn't have to be strenuous nor all at one time. Just 25 mins a day.

Revision is replacing a prothesis with a like type hardware. Most of the time its done because one has just simply worn out from too much activity. Early revision would be related to injury, disease or any other type malfunction. In my case, I have a tumor,pvns, that retu r bed and are up the no Mn a causing the stem in the femur to break loose and move freely in the leg. Every time it moved it touched a nerve sending pain ripping through my body so while the actual hardware still had several years wear it has to be replaced........

• Posted

I understand doing workout each day and have done that most of my life, it's the streaching to get the bend and straight that I wonder how long will go on. You all know how much fun streaching and holding that streach while in pain is far from our daily exercising and far from enjoyable. I am just looking so forward to not getting up every morning knowing that little chore has to be done. Swimming, biking, pickleball, tennis, walking, exercising I have no problem with and am so glad to do them it's the streaching the knee tell it's hard to catch your breath for 30-60 sec in five different streaches five minutes each one twice a day. I did cut to once a day a few days ago.

i have done a cruise and a family trip in the last two months so have not been back to Therpy but only had three sections left so decided to finish myself. I asked theory about the streaching many times and never got an answer other than if I don't have the straight I will limp and that should have that by month three. I still had a bit of a limp at three months but have been told by many I walk like I didn't have the surgery now. I must of got most of the straight. I was also told if I don't have the bend by three months I won't get it, not true. I would struggle bending to put shoes on and I now can put the new knee over the their knee and slip the shoe on, also stairs are no problem and getting in and out of cars are no problem so I know the work I have put in has given me more bend, just don't know where the cut off should be. I have finally came to reolize that the new knee will never have the bend of my other knee but can anyone say what I might be looking at to look at the cut off time for STRE-cNING...??? 

Yes patients is not my best talent and I could kick my own butt for that but in the back of my mind I look at  my age 64 and how  many of my loved ones and friend are going down and out and I want to get as much in as I can before I can't. 

• Posted

Your body will let you know....everyone is so different you just can't put a timetable in place. My 1st one took many months but I had already had 4 surgeries and 30 rounds of radiation before the tkr. The radiation had burned the heck out of my leg and the soft tissue was like rawhide. The 2nd time went relatively fast until I had some setbacks unrelated to the actual surgery. I would just spend a few minutes stretching and see how it goes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.